Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is something wrong with our Dahlia?

Posted by alpha_1976 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 13:30

Please see the photo. It's first time we are growing them so we have no idea. Bud seems to be becoming browning and the stem as well. Is it normal or something is killing them? Could it be too much of sun? I can't see anything wrong with the leaves. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is something wrong with our Dahlia?

Just to show main stem another pic - couldn't figure out how to add more than one picture in original message.

o

Many Dahlias have darker stems and/or foliage. It looks pretty good to me.

o

Thanks so much. I'll post pics when they bloom.

o

Yeah, that's not really browning. What you see on the flower bud is probably just the color of the petals showing through, and it's normal to get some of that burgundy-ish color on some stems.

o

Thanks all. I think you were right and there was indeed nothing wrong. here they are

o

Alpha, nice shots! Do you know the varieties? Perhaps My Love for the white?

o

Thanks.

These

http://www.longfield-gardens.com/plantname/Dahlia-My-Love

I bought them from costco.

o

Ah, yes. That's how it starts.

I remember looking online wanting to see what other colors dahlias came in, other then pink, purple and yellow.... and I got lost in the sea of shapes, textures and blends possible with this amazing species. Over two hundred varieties later, my wish list is still a mile long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here