Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Thin main stems: Will they get thicker after a while?

highlandernorth
11 years ago

I had many, many more tubers this year than I figured I'd have after wintering them over. So I traded some, gave some away, sold some to customers, and even now I still have extra plants that I dont have room for, and they are growing in pots like all the rest, so I'll have to get rid of them.

Anyway, as these and other tubers I bought or traded for started coming up, inevitably I noticed that some main stems on some tubers were significantly thinner and slower growing than others, while some would be very thick and faster growing. Even with only 1 main stem from each tuber.

The obvious and first desire for anyone would be to plant, trade or sell the thicker ones, and get rid of the thinner ones, but I have not gotten rid of too many thin ones. I still have extras that are thin, medium and thick. They have been in pots growing for 1.5 months now at least.

So does it really matter if some main stems are thicker for the first few weeks or month or more, or will they eventually thicken up, grow faster, and become healthy plants, or are the thinner ones destined to be inferior, and should be tossed?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz