Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too Late to Start Dahlia Tubers?

Posted by garystpaul z4 MN (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 14:16

I'm late with this, I know, but I found a couple of varieties I'd love to try this year if it isn't too late (most suppliers are out or have stopped delivery at this point). I'd be growing them in containers and have a greenhouse, if that makes a difference. Anyone with advice for me here? Thanks in advance. Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too Late to Start Dahlia Tubers?

I'd say go for it. You will only be out the cost of the tuber if it doesn't work, and actually, you may be able to harvest some tubers from it for next year. And if it works, you totally win!

Some of my biggest dahlias are barely coming up and I may well have to do this with them...they were very slow germinators. Same thing happened last year with dahlias from this breeder but I got good tubers and were able to start them much earlier this year in my greenhouse.

o
RE: Too Late to Start Dahlia Tubers?

I am only a few miles from you over the border in WI. I was gifted with a number of additional tubers late this year and just finished getting them in the ground last week. Last year some of my tubers didn't get in the ground till mid July. I still got blooms off of most of them, just not as many and not until September. All of them developed additional tubers, so I am able to see if they do better this year.

Since you have a green house and are growing them in containers, you can always move them inside when the early frosts hit. Seems a no brainer to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here