Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Dahlias for beginners?

Posted by tmac96 Z5, OH (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 14:38

I would like to try my hand at Dahlias but don't know where to begin. There are SO many varieties! I'm not sure if any are more finicky than others, so I thought I'd come here for advice. Here is what I am looking for:

-Heavy bloomer -- I'm not so much concerned with the size of the blooms as much as I am the amount of blooms. I would like something that blooms quite a bit (although good sized blooms are nice!)
-Something not TOO tall -- maybe around 3 feet or less.
-Something that is sturdy -- I realize staking is likely necessary, but the stronger the plant, the better.

Any suggestions for Dahlias like this that are also maybe a little more forgiving for a newbie like me? Also, any suggestions on where to purchase for spring of next year? TIA!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Dahlias for beginners?

What colors do you prefer? Some easy reliable ones for me have been Robinhood a 3ft orange ball; Honka, cute as can be prolific yellow orchid form; Nescio 2.5 ft bright red with lots of blooms, but smaller, at 2.5-3 inches. Cameo is a lovely pastel yellow waterlily with flushes of blooms on a 3.5ft plant.

Pride of Place and Willo Borealis have been easy and good bloomers but are small pompons in dark purple and lavender, respectively. Pride of Place is 4 ft for me, Willo Borealis barely 3.

I'm sure there are more that would come to mind especially if you named some color preferences.

o

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely check them out. :-)

As far as color preferences, I really like pinks, dark purples and reds. Oranges are nice too! I like really full blooms also, if that helps.

Thanks again!

o

Go to the bottom of THIS page and click on 2, which will bring you to the second page of 30 mesages. The third (3) message is "Dahlia Information" by me, corgicorner. Open it and read it which will give you information on the American Dahlia Society's directions on growing dahlias. I suggest that you download it, read it, and keep it for further information when you need it. This is an excellent article from a dependable source.

Good luck. Enjoy your dahlias now, and hopefully for years to come.

o

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely read up!

One other thing I forgot to mention regarding what I'm looking for -- I live in zone 5, so my growing season isn't long. An early bloomer would be nice. :-)

o

You might try Riverdance a cheerful red anemone with lots of early blooms. It gets taller than 3.5' for me though, and is a very broad plant that would require a strong stake for sure.

Raz Ma Taz is a small (<3") bloom that is early, 3' or less tall and just glows red with yellow. Nice little plant.

Nescio is also 3' or less and early to bloom. You can always try to get a jumpstart on your season by starting in pots.
Good luck!

o

Wow, those look great Poochella! THANKS!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here