Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_6

2 headed dahlia

linda_6
10 years ago

This dahlia has 2 heads. Is this common? I've never seen one grow like this before. I didn't see anything like this last year.

Comments (18)

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

This is so cool, Linda! I've seen fasciation in other flowers, like hosta, but not in dahlias!

It might have happened for ten zillion reasons, all of which wouldn't worry me any if that flower was in my garden. I'd be trying to do it again!

Check out the link below, which explains this phenomenon better then I could... Here's a quick quote...

"Herbicides, insects and physical injury to the growing tip are reported to stimulate the occurrence of fasciations (Geneve, 1990). Fasciations also are reported to come about through spontaneous mutations (Gabillard and Pitrat). Conditions favoring rapid growth also favor the development of fasciations." They also say it might be natural genetics or mutations causing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fascia explanation

• teddahlia
    10 years ago

I have seen three headed flowers too.

• linda_6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't do anything special, Last fall, I just placed my dahlias in a few large planters and let them sit in my garage through the winter. I watered them a few times. I planted them right after Mother's Day.

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

Three headed? I'd love to see a picture of that! I'm assuming it was from a single variety, as well?

Thanks for sharing your image with us, Linda! Please post here again if more flowers on that plant do the same thing! By the way, is that Wheels?

This post was edited by CCvacation on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 22:30

• linda_6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not sure what the name is. I bought a flat of dahlias from a local greenhouse here last year. I think they are just common ones.

• jacqueinthegorge
    10 years ago

Looks like a Harlequin seedling to me.

• davidinsf
    10 years ago

Is it 2 HEADS on one stem or 2 FACES off of one bud/head?

I had a single stem tulip sprout with 5 blooming tulips this spring but that is not uncommon for tulips.

• linda_6
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's 2 heads on one stem. They are connected together on one stem.

• 2005beetle
    6 years ago

Here is another photo.

• cicivacation
    6 years ago

Very cool. Since the original posting, I've seen a few in my garden every year, and it is always fun to watch them bloom. Never the same plant/variety twice, though. Just a random occurrence with no problems associated with it.

Love the dark stem on that dahlia. Nice.

• 2005beetle
    6 years ago

That's very interesting you have seen it on other plant varieties. I had put some granular fertilizer around my plants this year and am thinking that stimulated the extra growth.

• ladybird36
    6 years ago

This is my twin headed dahlia, I have been checking on it every day . It looks like it will a Pom Pom shortly.

• 2005beetle
    6 years ago

That's beautiful! Love it.

• HU-58693885
    3 years ago

Here are two in my garden this year

• sastuart2012vf
    3 years ago

this is ours, very bizarre but cool.

• Tony Lobley
    3 years ago

Here is another example. Each flower has its own stem, but they are fused together along their length. The variety is Honka Red.

• Charlene Szarek
    6 months ago

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!