Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 headed dahlia

Posted by linda_6 PA6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 15:34

This dahlia has 2 heads. Is this common? I've never seen one grow like this before. I didn't see anything like this last year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 headed dahlia

This is so cool, Linda! I've seen fasciation in other flowers, like hosta, but not in dahlias!

It might have happened for ten zillion reasons, all of which wouldn't worry me any if that flower was in my garden. I'd be trying to do it again!

Check out the link below, which explains this phenomenon better then I could... Here's a quick quote...

"Herbicides, insects and physical injury to the growing tip are reported to stimulate the occurrence of fasciations (Geneve, 1990). Fasciations also are reported to come about through spontaneous mutations (Gabillard and Pitrat). Conditions favoring rapid growth also favor the development of fasciations." They also say it might be natural genetics or mutations causing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fascia explanation

o

I have seen three headed flowers too.

o

I didn't do anything special, Last fall, I just placed my dahlias in a few large planters and let them sit in my garage through the winter. I watered them a few times. I planted them right after Mother's Day.

o

Three headed? I'd love to see a picture of that! I'm assuming it was from a single variety, as well?

Thanks for sharing your image with us, Linda! Please post here again if more flowers on that plant do the same thing! By the way, is that Wheels?

This post was edited by CCvacation on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 22:30

o

I'm not sure what the name is. I bought a flat of dahlias from a local greenhouse here last year. I think they are just common ones.

o

Looks like a Harlequin seedling to me.

o

Is it 2 HEADS on one stem or 2 FACES off of one bud/head?

I had a single stem tulip sprout with 5 blooming tulips this spring but that is not uncommon for tulips.

o

It's 2 heads on one stem. They are connected together on one stem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here