Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What goes well with pink dahlias?

Posted by bonzgirl 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 15:35

Hi,

I'm looking for some flowering plants goes well in my pink dahlia bed.

Since my dahlias get tall and tends to be floppy, I'm hoping new addition will add colors to the bed as well as support the floppy dahlias from leaning down to the ground.

Also this area looks pretty sad during the winter thru spring... Any suggestions for ground cover for winter? or anything to make this area look good in off-season?

I would appreciate any suggestions!

p.s. Not sure about the variety of the dahlia I have, but the picture below from last late summer might help...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What goes well with pink dahlias?

How about adding some Liatris spicata?

o

Hmmm - Red Hot Poker (forget the botanical name!) New England Asters, Tropical Hibiscus, Hibiscus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus) lilies, day lilies, Matricaria - check with a perennial group and see what you can come up with. Good luck.

o

• Posted by mgmb z5 Madison WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 23, 08 at 15:21

Try some of those lime green tobacco (nicotiana) and gentian sage - those colors look beautiful with the pink and can grow up through the dahlias. Neither will support the dahlias - frankly I don't think much will because the stems get so heavy. Try pinching the plants early on so they bush out a little more - I had a Fannie Williams (now called something dutch) from Old House Gardens and it kept snapping off because it was too tall and top-heavy.

o

Thank you all for your ideas!

Due to my zone (7-8), some of them might be a bit hard to grow here, but I'll ask someone at Nursery next time I go there!

If I can find salvia which will remain somewhat green during winter, it would be great, too.

I have planted Liatris bulbs in different location for the first time this year. I'll see how they grow and decide if I want them in my dahlia bed as well.

All advices are very inspiring. Thank you !!!

-b

o

OOH YEAH! Lime green and pink look divine together! (thanks for the hint! ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here