Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
covella

Dahlias in containers

covella
15 years ago

I had some tubers from last yr that I wasn't sure were going to make it and I planted them all together in one giant 60 gallon pot. Lo and behold 9 of them are up.

Now I need to get these transplanted before they get too big.

How close should you plant dahlias? In my clay soil I have not had good luck at all w dahlias so for that reason and to avoid the continuous stinky deer-ex applications I use very large containers. I usually put 2-3 of the smaller flowered dahlias in a 60 gallon container but wondering if I should make it 1 or 2 to increase bloom.

I always intend to fertilize more and hardly get to it - I plant w Bulbtone organic slow release.

I also want to report that using my mix from last yr is going very well for this yrs crop. Last yr I mixed a professional container mix with triple shredded bark, Sweet Peat, top soil, various rock powders and organic fertilizer and peat moss. Last yr it held too much water, this yr I mixed what I had w perlite, sand, a little more peat, and a little more top soil to make my container mix. It holds water very well, but the roots are really growing in it so I'm ok with that. I continue to experiment with container mixes....

Well if anybody else is growing dahlias in containers please tell me how close you are planting them. Just interested in how your bloom production is.

Thanks!

a

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?