Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with mushy tuber from an order

Posted by linda0210 5(MA) (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 19:32

For those of you that buy thru mail-order, what do you do

I had ordered tubers for the first time this year - from two different vendors on the west coast- did it back in December They were small orders - 8-10 from each. I did delay planting for about 45 days but had checked both orders when I got them and they were ok, packed in shavings

When planting, 3 tubers (all three same kind) in one order were mushy. After planting, 1 tuber in the other order rotted out at the end.

I didn't tell the vendors - felt funny - my thoughts were sortof 'buyer beware'. And while I don't want to think that I will lose $3-$5 in each order, I just feel odd about doing it.

What do you all do? Tell the vendor? Do you expect or get replacement?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with mushy tuber from an order

Last year I had a few that rotted in the ground. We didn't have a wet period after I had planted them so I knew it wasn't my weather. I emailed the vendor and they were replaced for this year. I would let them know - they might replace, they might not - but it doesn't hurt to ask. You might have to wait until next season for your replacement though if they don't have the variety anymore.

o

Next time ask them to ship closer to your planting time so you don't have to store them- most vendors will keep them for you - then you can plant right away & they won't have a chance to go mushy on you. You can still get your order in early but just ask for a later shipping date.

o

Definitely tell the vendor of anything that doesn't produce. Mine was happy to record the fact so my next year's order would receive credit, and, to boot she threw in 2 extra tuber choices for next year. I did not need anything to be replaced immediately, but I did get the feeling had I asked she would have accommodated with anything she still had stock of.

I have a very good experience, and I think all vendors would likely strive to be as accommodating.

Cheers,
Russ

o

I received new tubers and xtras when I reported my rotten tubers. There were some from the 4 companies I used. I told them not to send me the tubers so early next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here