Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it too late to get some tubers in the ground? I have a few ++

Posted by alioca 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 20:07

Already in that I started weeks ago, growth is over six inches. If I put more tubers in will they catch up fast?

And most importantly, Do you think I will get flowers by late July?

Tia!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it too late to get some tubers in the ground? I have a few

I started some tubers between May 25th and June 11th back in 2011, and the ones I started later were actually later blooming large dinnerplate dahlias(85-90 days til bloom) and they started blooming in early September. I dont think its too late. In fact, they really dont start growing well until the temps get warmer anyway, which means they really should be planted when the daily highs are at least in the 70's to 80's.

If your dahlias are smaller, faster blooming types then maybe you will get blooms by mid August if you plant them now. Otherwise they will start in September. But thats OK because they will still bloom for nearly 2 months til first frost(depending on when your first frost occurs).

o
RE: is it too late to get some tubers in the ground? I have a few

• Posted by portia PA 6B, Brandywine (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 9:05

I am getting one last order of tubers this wkd and they are going right in, might be a bit late but we'll see! I also have pots that I started that are a few inches tall going in this week. I had to stagger plantings since I was also getting beds ready. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here