Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dahlias flopped

Posted by mzdee 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 20:27

and the leaves are wilting. I planted two nice sized tubers last month. They took off like wild fire and have grown to about 8 or 9 inches high with nice thick stems. They were upright with no staking. We did have heavy rain for the last couple of days. Today, they were laying on the ground and leaves have started to wilt. No stems are broken, so I don't think its storm damage. Anyone else experience this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dahlias flopped

I would gently dig out the earth around the tuber, and check to see if the stem cracked at the tuber. Sounds like that's what might have happened. Twist gently on the stem, and if it rotates loosely, you might as well take it completely off and let a new sprout form on the buried tuber.

You can try to root the stem in 3-4 inches of sterile soil in a cup with a gallon ziplock for two weeks(Take all wilting leaves off), and plant that out once it roots strongly.

If it is still attached strongly, take off wilting leaves, stake it firmly, and hope for the best!

Cheers!
CC

o

Thanks CC
I'll give it a try. I didn't know you could root frm the stem. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing :-)

o

Unfortunately, thicker stems are harder to root, from my experience, but its worth a try! Search this forum for 'cuttings,' and a whole new world will open up!

Cheers!
CC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here