Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ryn Fou or Myrtle's Folly, anyone?

Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 21:00

No matter how hard I work at it, I always end up forgetting to label a few tubers. This year I have 3 tubers that are either Ryn Fou or Myrtle's Folly. Does anyone grow both of those? I was wondering if the foliage on those 2 differed greatly enough that one could identify it given only those 2 choices. For instance, out of the more than 20 varieties of dahlia I grow, I can easily pick out which is Rock Star...none of my other dahlias have that foliage.
I know it will be obvious once they bloom, but due to the late start here, they might not bloom this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ryn Fou or Myrtle's Folly, anyone?

Yup, labeling mishaps are frustrating, especially when there was an extra effort to not mess up!

Here's Ryn Fou. Notice the thickness of the stalk.

o

Here's Myrtles Folly. Notice the slender burgundy stalks, and slightly edgier scalloped leaves.

Hope this helps!

o

Another Pict of Myrtles Folly

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 15:04

CCvacation, thanks so much for your detailed response, with photos even! Based on that, I'm going for Ryn Fou...we'll see. Thanks again!

o

My pleasure... Any excuse to head back out and check up on the plants! I swear they grow while I watch them!

Cheers,
CC

o

Oh yes, I was going to work on that data base of photos of leaves for each variety wasn't I...in my spare time! I remember Rock Star. Mine was virused and is disposed of but I remember that unique foliage. I nicknamed it "Ferny" last year until it bloomed and I could get its ID back.

o

Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 11:26

Lizalily, Rock Star is normally a very prolific tuber producer for me...last year I gave away quite a few, and this year I have 7 plants even though most of my tubers rotted from tooo much rain last summer...they didn't dry properly before I had to store them. I'd be happy to send you a couple (assuming we actually get decent dahlia weather this year!)

o

Yes, I thought this one was cute and visitors always noticed it in the garden but the leaves had horrid yellow speckles on them all season. I would like a couple of clean tubers!

Still out trying to find spots in the Red and White Rose garden for dahlia plants today! I have lovely plants of Barberpole and Comet waiting to go in, as well as a Kori Kobi and some others I dug up to divide.

o

Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 17:02

I'm still trying to find spots for dahlias, too. I'm almost finished. Hissy Fitz is a problem for me...that color yellow is difficult for me to place. This year I'll try it amidst some hot colors and see if that works. Lizalily, email your address to me at vvinetteathotmaildotcom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here