Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noni_morrison

What is happening?

Noni Morrison
15 years ago

I have two dahlia beds. ONe that is in the middle of the garden, 4' wide by 60' long. I leave my dahlias in all winter here, but mulch them if we are going to have a hard freeze. Last winter was pretty mild, and no hard freezes.

Due to recovering from surgery, I never got a good mulch on the beds last year. However, nearly all of these dahlias were fine.

HOwever, the other bed is along a fenceline, only abut 24 feet away. The soil is not quite as well cultivated but it is the only place I had left for my continually expanding collection. The ones for my cut flower business go into the bed n the middle of the garden. THe ones I buy mostly for my own enjoyment and the larger ones go into the outer bed.

I would say that 1/3 of the ones in the outer bed are not going to regrow this year. MAny seem to have had half the tuber eaten, or rotted off. THe clump sort of disintegrates when I dig it up, with no new growth on the necks of any of the tubers. Why the big discrepancy in the two beds? The center bed got a nice layer of compost put on in about March and it is more weed free then the outer bed.

All I can think of is that it may have been voles eating them and hten rotting because of that. There is a bank below this bed with exposed earth that probably makes a lovely winter home, especially with a big pile of boughten compost dumped on top of it.

Any other guesses? I would sure like to be able to leave these tubers in the ground over the winter...I do not do well with digging and storing. IF it is voles then mulching them will only provide more of a place for them to enjoy their winter underground, won't it?

Well, the bright side is that I can try a bunch of new varietes this year...but some of the old ones I will really miss!

Comments (2)