Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
True Blue?

Posted by Aurore Zone 4/5 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 05 at 21:36

I attempted to grow the blue meconopsis poppy this year and got nothing.
I love that blue color and I know that dalhias, which should be more suited to my climate, come in blue. What I would like to know is what is the truest blue variety you have found.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: True Blue?

Aurore, I hate to break the news, but you heard wrong. There are no blue dahlias. It's all a lie, like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Until dahlia genetics can be altered, you're stuck with purple, pink, white, yellow, red, orange and blends or variegations thereof. Did I miss any colors?

Google these dahlias:
Whorton Blue Streak
Kari Blue
Blue Beard
'Blue Bayou' from Swan Island website: this doesn't look blue to me yet it is described as bluish lavender outer petals....

I personally describe Kari Blue as blue-toned lavender, but it's still lavender ( and lovely, I might add!)
Those are the ones off the top of my head, but no blue such as you are seeking, sorry.

o

Poochella, you are absolutely right. There are no true blue dahlias today....maybe some day, but not today.
I'd like to add Thomas Edison to your list of so called blue dahlias.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thomas Edison

o

Worton's Blue streak actually looks like periwinkle blue in my yard, has never been a very robust plant though.

o

• Posted by Aurore Zone 4/5 NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 7, 05 at 19:23

Thanks for the list. Quite a few years ago I saw something on TV that was a lovely blue- maybe not a true blue, but close.

o

sort of like the legendary blue lagoon peony? LOL

o

Blue Lagoon is definitely a magenta! I was so disappointed when I grew it I thought it might at least be a grape purple. Too bad because it is really a beautiful dahlia and deserves not to be a disappointment!

o

Unless I've been fooled by my senses, the Dalia Blue Bell is quite close to a Royal Blue. I must admit that in nature, very few flowers are really blue, all of them will be closer to lavender or purple or even black; so when it comes to look for blue flowers we shall be a bit tolerant on this approach. Words from a Brit that is still working on a blue theme garden!
In Britain, Thompson & Morgan have them in Catalogue. Once they flower I'll let you know how blue they are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here