Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zinniamama

help! fell in love with yellow dahlia, purple foliage!?

zinniamama
16 years ago

Saw this plant in a strangers garden-it was 3-4 feet tall, had yellow blooms, about 3-5 inches across. The foliage/leaves were a striking purplish bronze instead of green. I know it was a dahlia but need a name, so I come to you experts!

Also, where is the best online place to order dahlia tubers-when i get the name i want to order them for next year!?

Thanks!

Brenda

Comments (10)

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

I think this is one of the Bishop series,,might be Bishop of York? I bought one a few years ago but my ducks ate it before I got to see it! They have the dark foliage of Bishop of Llandorf (sp?)

• debbiecz3
    16 years ago

I am just trying dahlias for the first time this year and I have the Bishop of Llandorf which I love for its dark foliage and beautiful deep red velvet flowers. I would like to see the one you described with the yellow flowers; that would be a very striking contrast! And lizalily, I must ask; your ducks ate your dahlias? Sounds like an interesting story. Cheers from Canada! Debbie.

• covella
    16 years ago

Bishop of York doesn't get 3-5" across - its no more than the size of a Becky daisy. The foliage on Bishop of Llandaff is also darker than York. I grew both last year and esp agree with you about Llandaff, what a spectacular plant all around.
    You didn't mention the shape of the dahlia flower - was it a daisy type like the Bishop series?

• dahliameister
    16 years ago

It sounds like Midnight Sun. Golden yellow bloom, foliage is dark green.

• mingusalex2007
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of my Midnight sun from last year.

{{gwi:643786}}

• marquest
    16 years ago

These were the ones that McClure And Zimmerman sold. They are not selling the Spring bulbs now but you can check them out for next year.

Sunshine is described as Purplish-black foliage flower yellow with orange center 30" tall.

These sound good also all dark foliage

Ellen Houston - Very dark foliage. orange-red decorative flower 18-24 tall

Fascination - Hot pink double blooms with dark centers. Very dark near black foliage 28-34 tall

• jacqueinthegorge
    14 years ago

Maybe the mystic series?

They are stunning.

Here's where to see pictures -

http://www.planthaven.com/dahlmyst.html

• gr8writer_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

The one you want is "Mystic Illusion." Yellow Daisy-like flowers with dark purple very striking foliage:
    http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/detail.cfm?photoID=8478

• Spongey600
    12 years ago

yes, it is the mystic illusion, my GF wanted one so we picked one up and in 2 months id has doubled in size and we have 5 flowers with another 12 ready to open up! they are beautiful. we also have the hypnotic pink one that has about 10 flowers on it!

Eric

• ziyakr
    12 years ago

Seems a little silly to respond to a 4 year old thread but I couldn't resist. I saw a Mystic Illusion last summer at a very pricy nursery in a display, no idea what it was, brand new gardener. After I made the nice young man track one down for me I took it home and spent the next 6 weeks killing it. So this year I learned a ton about dahlias, searched everywhere and finally found two plants, put them in a big half barrel and they have been doing GREAT all summer. They did stop blooming during the hottest part of the season but have totally bounced back, I think there are 10 blooms on them right now (Oct 1). I am going to try storing the tubers this year, wish me luck (and get some of these yourself, they are amazing!)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!