Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help! fell in love with yellow dahlia, purple foliage!?

Posted by zinniamama 8, OREGON (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 1:09

Saw this plant in a strangers garden-it was 3-4 feet tall, had yellow blooms, about 3-5 inches across. The foliage/leaves were a striking purplish bronze instead of green. I know it was a dahlia but need a name, so I come to you experts!
Also, where is the best online place to order dahlia tubers-when i get the name i want to order them for next year!?
Thanks!
Brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help! fell in love with yellow dahlia, purple foliage!?

I think this is one of the Bishop series,,might be Bishop of York? I bought one a few years ago but my ducks ate it before I got to see it! They have the dark foliage of Bishop of Llandorf (sp?)

o

I am just trying dahlias for the first time this year and I have the Bishop of Llandorf which I love for its dark foliage and beautiful deep red velvet flowers. I would like to see the one you described with the yellow flowers; that would be a very striking contrast! And lizalily, I must ask; your ducks ate your dahlias? Sounds like an interesting story. Cheers from Canada! Debbie.

o

Bishop of York doesn't get 3-5" across - its no more than the size of a Becky daisy. The foliage on Bishop of Llandaff is also darker than York. I grew both last year and esp agree with you about Llandaff, what a spectacular plant all around.
You didn't mention the shape of the dahlia flower - was it a daisy type like the Bishop series?

o

It sounds like Midnight Sun. Golden yellow bloom, foliage is dark green.

o

Here is a picture of my Midnight sun from last year.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

These were the ones that McClure And Zimmerman sold. They are not selling the Spring bulbs now but you can check them out for next year.

Sunshine is described as Purplish-black foliage flower yellow with orange center 30" tall.

These sound good also all dark foliage

Ellen Houston - Very dark foliage. orange-red decorative flower 18-24 tall

Fascination - Hot pink double blooms with dark centers. Very dark near black foliage 28-34 tall

o

Maybe the mystic series?

They are stunning.

Here's where to see pictures -

http://www.planthaven.com/dahlmyst.html

o

The one you want is "Mystic Illusion." Yellow Daisy-like flowers with dark purple very striking foliage:
http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/detail.cfm?photoID=8478

o

yes, it is the mystic illusion, my GF wanted one so we picked one up and in 2 months id has doubled in size and we have 5 flowers with another 12 ready to open up! they are beautiful. we also have the hypnotic pink one that has about 10 flowers on it!

Eric

o

Seems a little silly to respond to a 4 year old thread but I couldn't resist. I saw a Mystic Illusion last summer at a very pricy nursery in a display, no idea what it was, brand new gardener. After I made the nice young man track one down for me I took it home and spent the next 6 weeks killing it. So this year I learned a ton about dahlias, searched everywhere and finally found two plants, put them in a big half barrel and they have been doing GREAT all summer. They did stop blooming during the hottest part of the season but have totally bounced back, I think there are 10 blooms on them right now (Oct 1). I am going to try storing the tubers this year, wish me luck (and get some of these yourself, they are amazing!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here