Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Assistance identifying a dahlia

Posted by eterprincess 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 8:02

I had bought a dinner plate bulb bag from Home Depot, and one of y dahlias just went into bloom. I think it's beautiful and would like to grow more but I don't know what it is

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Assistance identifying a dahlia

Best bet is to dig the tubers a week after a hard frost, and store them between 45-60 degrees so you can grow many more of that same type next year. (Research 'dividing and storing dahlia tubers' in the GardenWeb search function or on google for details on that)

The 'big box stores' typically buy from companies in Holland that aren't really concerned with correctly labeling in the first place, and when you buy an unlabeled bag, the chances of identifying the variety is not likely.

There a several thousands of named varieties out there, and plenty of unnamed seedlings floating around. Even when you think it is a match with another dahlia picture, it wouldn't be right to trade or sell those tubers with another grower under that assumed name without lots of experience in dahlias, and/or growing the actual variety next to your no ID plant and having an experienced dahlia person compare them for you.

You can give it a garden 'nickname,' but make it clear to folks you gift to that you don't know its actual name.

Enjoy it- it's very pretty!

Cheers,
CC

o
RE: Assistance identifying a dahlia

It's beautiful whatever it is!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here