Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlia Karma Yin Yang bulbs

Posted by klwallace12 NC 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 9:12

Hey everyone. I ran into lowes and found Dahlia bukbs on clearance. The package looked beautiful so I bought them to try my hand. The instructions state to plant approx 4inches down, with tubers pointed down. I have no clue which end the tuber is... :(

Also these look very dry should i wet them or soak them first?

Im not sure how much info you need but they will be on my porch in planters in a home made container soil mix. Im still searching through the forum to learn more about these beauties!

Thanks for any help/advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlia Karma Yin Yang bulbs

If you can see a bit of the old stem, that goes upward. If not, I'm sure somebody will be along who can explain it better than I can.

Dahlia don't need a lot of water to sprout, so if your soil is damp that should be sufficient. I can't see the tuber so I'm not sure exactly how dry they are, but if they're really, really dry an hour soak in tepid water (call it 75 degrees) before planting wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Also, if they're really badly off and you're going to lift them promptly around the time you get frost, I tend to dislike planting them too deeply. I just did the same thing and planted my tubers about 2 inches deep. Next year I'll plant them at more normal depths when they haven't sat in unknown conditions until far too late in the season.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here