Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaving Dahlias in ground over winter

Posted by MidwifeLiz 6A (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 10:21

I live about 30 miles north of Philadelphia, right along the Delaware River in beautiful Bucks county. For years now I dig up my dahlias to store in the basement over winter and replant in the spring. But as a test I have left one plant in the ground and it comes back every year and this year has already bloomed by the fourth of July!

Do y'all think it would be possible to leave my dahlias in the ground for now on? That one plant has come back for 3 years now. Any thoughts?

Liz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaving Dahlias in ground over winter

Why not try more?
Digging and dividing dahlias is hard work! If they do freeze, replacements can be easily bought. How much is your time worth?
Some hints: Be sure to mulch the plants with several inches of compost or dry leaves. Make sure they are not in a wet area as they will rot in cold, wet soil. Consider digging them in the Spring every few years and dividing the large clumps. As clumps get too large, they send up too many sprouts and the plants will become too crowded an be spindly. Be sure to control slugs and snails in the Spring as they will lay eggs on the clumps and the hatchlings will eat the sprouts before they come up. By the way, you can easily move clumps around in the Spring and they will do fine when re-planted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here