Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting tubers in the same holes?

Posted by tiffy2006 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 20, 06 at 11:06

Can anyone tell me if I can plant dahlia tubers in the same holes year after year? I've read in garden books that you need to rotate locations for your vegetable crops, and I wondered if you have to do the same for dahlias?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting tubers in the same holes?

I've planted dahlias in roughly the same holes for years. They just keep getting better each time you amend the soil.
No need to rotate crops, you just need to decide which of the 50,000 varieties are worth the space.

o

Thank you, Poochella for your tip. You are an angel. I started to grow about half of a dozen varieties this spring and still have a great deal to learn.

o

`I read this somewhere and it works well for me. After digging your tubers in the fall take time to replenish the soil with whatever amendments you need. when spring comes you are ready to plant. Where I live you don't have to dig dahlias, but I can never leave them more than 2 years or they get so big I can't even lift them out of the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here