Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Oregon and Dahlias

Posted by lodi zn8 OR (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 23, 06 at 11:18

Hello All, I moved to Vernonia, OR a year ago so I am new to gardening in this climate. I had a disasterous winter as I underestimated the cold and lost a lot of container plants. I was used to climates where putting plants in the garage was enough to keep them safe. Not so here. Live and learn, that's what it's all about.

I'm also new to Dahlias (and just about every other plant I couldn't grow in Arizona :o) and I'm worried about how small the plants are. I probably planted them late but I guess I thought they would grow faster. If there is anyone from the Vernonia area who could give me a timetable, it would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Oregon and Dahlias

When did you plant them exactly, and how tall do you expect them to get? Dahlias can range from the little tiny foot tall varieties to towering giants 6+ft high.

Welcome to the great NW!

o

• Posted by lodi zn8 OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 4, 06 at 14:05

Hi Poochella,
I got distracted by making a living. I had to teach some classes in August and preparing and traveling used up the month. Fortunately, in the meantime, my dahlias kept on growing. Even the ones I stupidly planted on the NE side of the garage.

None are the "towering giants" but doing well enough to give me some lovely blooms and make me want to buy more next spring.

Where are you in WA? How close is your climate to Vernonia? We had some very cold days that included about 6" of snow in early December. I have a water garden in a tub and there was at least 4" of solid ice on top of it. I'm told it was a fairly typical winter.

o

Hi, well work certainly puts a crimp on gardening doesn't it? If you've got blooms then you are a success, no matter the height. 4 ft is average for the taller varieties, I guess.
I am east of suburban Seattle and we are also prone to freeze, snow, or prolonged cold spells due to elevation. Lots and lots of winter rain as well. I don't know Veronia specifically, or much else about OR climates, but if your water froze 4 inches thick, it sounds like you would be wise to plan to dig up your dahlias after a freeze. Store them (see any number of threads here on 'how to') and enjoy them all over next year perhaps aiming for a southern exposure or as much sun as possible.

How to dig link below and other great info at that website.

Here is a link that might be useful: dahlias.net

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here