Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlia buds produce deformed flowers

Posted by DaveVH none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 11:29

Anyone know why my Dahlia is not producing normal flowers. Plant is well fed and watered in very sunny spot.
see attached image.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlia buds produce deformed flowers

Are they all like that? Do other dahlia in the same area produce similarly stunted flowers?

If the answers are yes and no respectively, it looks like a somatic variation in that particular dahlia tuber. While I know a person or two who'd kill for that dahlia, you don't care for it--so remove it at season's end (or now) and don't use it again.

If it's only on one part of the plant, remove that stem as close to the base as you can. I once had a Sky Angel (lavender with white accents) produce white with faint lavender accents at the tips. I chopped that branch off and discarded it.

If all plants in the area do that, you may have a resource shortage in the soil, a disease there, or some sort of invader that warps the flowers.

o
RE: Dahlia buds produce deformed flowers

Herbicide damage is my guess. Most commonly caused by contaminated compost or manure. Herbicide products affect dahlias in minute concentrations and numerous people have had problems. No cure but plants will have fewer symptoms as the season goes on and they should be OK next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here