Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlia buds?

Posted by tomlinson04 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 11:52

Hi there!
I am growing mango sunset in my garden right now and think I see some buds coming from the tips of some side branches (they have the cute little round leaves on the tips instead of the regular jagged dahlia leaves) and just wanted to make sure they didn't look funny/that the leaves will in fact fold back and a bud will grow and extend... Because all I see is the leaves, no little lump inside, and it almost seems crooked lol. Thanks in advance for your insight :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlia buds?

You got buds! :-). Looks very healthy and completely normal, so no worries. It should grow and unfurl nicely, given time.

Buds typically grow in threes, with the dominant one that you see there in the center. Lots of growers pulls off the side buds to allow that main middle one room and energy to grow bigger. It also allows for a longer cutting stem. Some growers of the smaller dahlias prefer to not disbud, and cut the stem with two immature buds with the middle fully open for bouquets. Typically, those immature buds will not open once the stem is cut, but they add a fun design element in the vase.

o

Thanks CC you're Awesome! I'm so excited :)

o

>>Lots of growers pulls off the side buds to allow that main middle one room and energy to grow bigger. It also allows for a longer cutting stem. Some growers of the smaller dahlias prefer to not disbud, and cut the stem with two immature buds with the middle fully open for bouquets. Typically, those immature buds will not open once the stem is cut, but they add a fun design element in the vase.

Some of us (me) leave them on the plant, deadhead the center blossom off when it's done, and have the fun of watching the side buds open.

Sure, the flowers are smaller, but they're dahlia flowers. What's not to love?

:-)

For the ones I cut for vases, I do leave the buds on the stem. They look great, but like you said, don't open.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here