Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atl0511

Limp & dying Dahlias!

atl0511
11 years ago

This is my first time planting Dalias, and I planted 8 tubers total in the Spring. I amended my clay soil with perlite and potting soil (I amended it pretty deeply, probably 3 ' down and 18" wide) for each tuber, and I got 6 to sprout. They are all doing fine except for 2 of them, one being Sr. Ball and I don't have the name of other one in front of me. They were doing great one day, then the Sr. Ball started to droop, then within 1-2 days went completely limp! The Dalia next to it was fine, but then a few days later started to look the same, first drooping and then went limp as well. I can't figure out what went wrong. I figure these are probably gone, but I would like to not repeat this with my other healthy Dahlias.

Evidence of the disaster:

{{gwi:644777}}

{{gwi:644778}}

{{gwi:644779}}

{{gwi:644780}}

I knew it was going to get hot, so I mulched, but I don't think that is what did them in. I water deeply once a week, and they got some water when I turn on the sprinklers for my grass (twice a week but they don't get much water from this at all). I also fertilize every three weeks with a fish emulsion type fertilizer.

Now, 5 days later, the leaves are dead but the stems are still green...The two down the row from these are still doing fine and don't appear to have any of the same problems! Is there someone out there that can identify what went wrong?

Comments (6)

• atl0511
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I meant to say above that the first two photos are before photos, the second two are the after photos!

• hnycrk
    11 years ago

Im sure it was most likely the heat we've been having that lead to there death. Dahalies can also get bacterial wilt.

• davidinsf
    11 years ago

Others may disagree but...

When I saw the wilted dahlias, I immediately said "They Need WATER". It is possible something else is happening but here why I say that.

I live in SF where we are lucky to get 2 days of sun per week in Summer but Springs can be sunny for weeks on end and hot (for us, 80's is HOT) for days at a time. This is one of those years and I found I had to water my dahlias not only daily, but a couple of times twice in a day (mainly for the container dahlias because even warm temps at night heat the pots up and draw any and all moisture out of the dirt.)

For years I followed the advice of growers not to overwater dahlias and I had some wilt just like yours because I took that advice literally. What they really mean is don't water them at all (or at least only occasionally) BEFORE they sprout. Water as needed while they grow but once they are
    taller and budding, I water daily when it's sunny and every 2-3 days when foggy.

I cannot imagine watering only weekly. My dahlias wouldn't last a week if I tried that.However, I live above sand, so it drains VERY quickly and thoroughly and therefore plants need watering more often.

Just a thought...

• mandolls
    11 years ago

My Dahlias do some wilting in the hot sun, but they usually perk right up when the shade hits in the afternoon. If your plants are all getting the same amount of water, it seems unlikely that it is fine for some and killing others. But I agree that once a week in Atlanta, in the heat you are having right now, is definitely not enough water. I read somewhere that Swan Island water their dahlias every other day, whether it rains or not (and they are in the NW).

I would dig one of them up and check the stem all the way down to the tuber, and see what you can find out. I have had a few get to be that size and then have the tubers rot. My experience is the plant stays alive (barely) but doesnt grow, but with your heatwave, if the tuber isnt heathy the plant wont make it.

• pdshop
    11 years ago

I would definitly dig one up. I bet tht something has eaten the tuber. Sounds like vole but I would love to see that tuber. Let us know.

• hnycrk
    11 years ago

I live south of Atlanta and I've been watering mine DAILY. Its a must for me. Mine are in full sun all day, and it has been extremely hot.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions