Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dew101

5 legs, green Head, goldish Body...what is it and what can i do?

daleyc
15 years ago

Hey Folks

Well my subject says it all. I've got these 1/8"-1/4" creatures on my flowers. I don't imagine that they're good insects but i guess they could be...assuming that they are bad news what can i do?

Feedback would be great!

Thanks so much!

Dale

Comments (10)

• jroot
    15 years ago

The creature described does not fit the description of any insect. ... only 6 legs for insects, and 8 legs for spiders. Sooo .... without a picture, it is almost impossible to figure out what it might be.

• daleyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks jroot

I think my insect may have 6 legs. I wasn't sure when i was checking him out.

Anyway, i'll try to get a picture of my ugly bug.

Thanks again and Take Care!

Dale

• pdshop
    15 years ago

Today I saw tiny little green bugs on the back of the dahlias. They run when I try to catch them. They are so small I don't know how they could see me? Size of a pin head and all green.

• daleyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Doesn't sound like my bugs. Are they on the flowers or the foliage? It appears that my bugs are eating the flowers...making tiny holes.

• nhdahlialover
    15 years ago

Hello,

It sounds like you may have leafhoppers. I've been having a problem with these little green buggers too. I just sprayed mine today with some random insecticide that my father-in-law brought over and I don't know if it was for them but it killed them. Many of my dahlias have severely stunted growth and I don't know if they will recover. I'm hopeful though.

Hope that helps.
    Katy

Here is a link that might be useful: Insect Problems for dahlias

• pdshop
    15 years ago

Mine are on the foliage. I also have grasshoppers. I catch them and put them in the pool for the birds. I am going to spray today even though it is supposed to rain all week.
    My dahlias are also not going to be 4 or 5 feet tall. They are bushy and about 2 to 3 feet? I am thankful for anything.

• daleyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Guys...I've got it!

I did a little research and the critter is
    The Japanese Beetle!
    Ugly little bugger but fairly easy to pick off if done diligently.

I hope this link works for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insects attacking specific garden plants

• daleyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

one more thing...what i did was check the bug description on the bug site (link in previous post)and then googled it for the picture
    Hope this helps!

• theras_garden
    15 years ago

I had them just eating my dahlias up. Sprayed with Sevin and haven't seen them on my dahlias in over a week. Spray Sevin at dusk to minimize poisoning the bees.
    Insecticidal soap won't work cause they are hard (really hard) bodied insects.
    Hate these lil buggers!

• daleyc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i did the same. haven't seen them for a bit. gonna spray again in a couple of weeks. also sprayed late in the day to protect the bees. hate those little buggers too!