Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
splitting

Posted by pdshop 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 13:56

How would I go about splitting a young plant in two? It is sending up two shoots and both of them have nice foliage. It would certainly be a help as I have lost a few to rot. Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: splitting

Why not take a cutting?

o

You could probably carefully excavate one side of the plant until you can see if the two shoots have separate root systems and then shear off one of the shoots along with part of the roots and tubers. If you planted a single tuber then this will likely not work because the bases of the sprouts would be very close together and difficult to safely separate, but if you planted a clump of tubers then you would have a better chance of dividing it into two pieces.

o

That means I would have to sacrifice a plant because two shoots from one tuber gives you a shorter, less vigorous plant.
I don't know how to take a cutting? Will it grow if I do that?

o

It's pretty late in the season to be taking cuttings with the intention of getting fully blooming plants this year. If they were my plants, I'd leave them alone, and plant clearance annuals from all the sales going on right now in the empty spaces you have.

In trying to gain more plants, you might very well destroy healthy growing and soon-to-be blooming plants.

Cheers!
CC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here