Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Dahlias- blooms for spring, summer, fall?

Posted by sqftgarden_in_wnc 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 1, 08 at 14:08

I have a small vegetable garden and have done those and perrenials from seed. I am new to Dahlias. Are there types that bloom at different times during the spring, summer and fall? I have a front bed that has some perrenials in now (I am really just getting started with it) and would like to add dahlias up there. Currently that bed has echinacea purpurea, Lamb's Ear, Flat Leaf Sage, Rosemary and Columbine and some stuff I am pulling out because I didn't like it. That's what the dahlia's would replace in the center of the bed. The Rosemary is getting put in this week and I have some Unwin's Dwarfs from seed I'm putting in. Once I get the stuff out that I don't like, I'll post a pic of the bed because I know that will help. In the meantime, I thought I'd get a jump start and get the main question answered so I can decide what to put here. The bed gets good AM sun and light shade in the afternoon. There is a big old maple behind and to the left of it for shade in the afternoon. It has been getting about 90 degrees or so in the afternoons, so I thought I'd put them where they won't get too scorched.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Dahlias- blooms for spring, summer, fall?

At this point in the summer, it is very late to be planting dahlia tubers. I would find a nursery that has them in bloom already and plant them in your bed. Dahlias love the sun, so I am not sure about afternoon sun. I would see how they do, and if they do well, plan on getting dahlia tubers in the ground around mid April next Spring

o
RE: New to Dahlias- blooms for spring, summer, fall?

Dahlias probably can't be over-wintered in your area. If you get frost in the ground, you shouldn't leave them in over the winter.

Of the 43 varieties I grew this year, they took between 8 and 84 days to grow enough to get above ground. The average was 31 days. You wouldn't want them to be above ground while there was still frost in the air (this gives you and idea of when they can be planted in the spring.)

They should start blooming between 90 and 120 days after they're planted.

Each variety should describe whether its an early or late bloomer (or neither.)

They'll then bloom until frost kills the stem. Then can then be lifted, stored over winter, and the tubers planted out next spring. Alternatively, you can take cuttings in the spring...see my propagating dahlias photo set:

Cheers,
Russ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here