Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
portia_gw

1 Dahlia Wilting out of 20...?

portia
9 years ago

Went out to look at my dahlia bed, and noticed that one plant is wilting. It looks like heat stroke kind of wilt, but this dahlia has been planted a month, it's surrounded by plants that are fine and perky, and I can't identify any sort of insect or anything that might be damaging it.

The plant is about 15 inches tall and was doing great until today.

I can take/post a pic if it helps, but any idea what might be causing this? I just watered the bed yesterday-the soil is a bit damp but not wet, maybe it needs more water? Just a little worried that yesterday this plant was fine and today it looks extremely sad. Any ideas?

Comments (4)

• portia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Crisis averted, was reading on here and someone mentioned stem damage as well as tuber being eaten so I went out, dug it up and the tubers look great so I figured wasn't that--then noticed somehow the stem had been damaged. It must have happened a little bit ago as there are already new sprouts coming from the tuber and under the damaged area (which I trimmed off), but how bizarre just yesterday it was still fine and today is when it manifested--must have just gotten to the point where it was no longer drawing nutrients/water.

So it's been set back a fair amt as now the new sprouts have to grow before I'll see any blooms, but I'm glad it wasn't something more nefarious or a critter eating the tuber etc. I was worried about the 19 other dahlias in the bed!

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

Wished I had read this earlier! If that ever happens again, I'd recommend taking the fifteen inch top and burying it next to the tuber with only half the top sticking out... Take off any branches or leaves that would be under ground. About half the time, you'll get two plants that way, as it can root and start to grow up again, sometimes blooming before the new tuber plant does!

For some reason, if the damaged plant is not severed from the tuber, it tends not to root, and is a loss. So it pays to check out the 'root' of the problem!

Cheers,
    CC

• portia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh didn't even think of that at the time, but I should have tried it.

Since then I did some reading on cuttings & my dog foraging for bunnies in the garden trampled and broke off a few inch sprout on another dahlia (I've since cordoned off the dahlias that are still small) which I did stick into rooting powder after pulling off the bottom sets of leaves, we shall see if anything good comes of that.

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

I never have success on cuttings that small outside. They need covered for humidity control, and babied a bit before they get a chance to root. With sections six inches or longer, they do better in the ground if you just leave an inch or so sticking out of the soil.