Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlia winter treatment

Posted by organic_tosca 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 07 at 15:03

I planted two Dahlia plants (miniatures) earlier this summer in a tub with Cosmos and Lobelia, and they are wonderful. I've never had Dahlias before (in fact, I'm pretty new to gardening), and I love these little charmers. My original plan was to rip everything out in the Fall and plant seeds of California Poppies for Spring blooming - I did this last year, and they were great, but of course, I needed something else for Summer-to-Fall bloom. All the above plants have done very well. My question is: the Cosmos and the Lobelia are annuals, but I know that dahlias are not. Should I lift the tubers in the Fall, or just keep them in the tub? We are in Central California, and the Winters here, though nothing like the severe Winters back east, can still freeze things (this last Winter, we had a month of very cold temps, and whole citrus groves froze). If I lift the tubers, do I let them dry out, etc., as with other bulb-type plants? Sorry to ask what must seem like a terribly basic question, but our only gardening book is a VERY old Sunset Garden Book, and I get an allergy attack just opening it up (the new one is on my Christmas list for this year!).
Thanks for any advice, Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlia winter treatment

If your ground freezes as you say then you must lift the tubers immediatly after the lightesr frost and store them for the winter. As fall approaches there will be much advice as to over-winter storage, and most of it is good. Several methoids of storage, most importand is storage temperature. No you do not let them dry out.
jim

o

Thank you, jmc.
Laura

o

One of the real easy ways is to place some vermiculite in a brown paper bag. Wash the newly dug tuber and while still damp put it in the paper bag and cover with vermiculite. Leave the bag open. Sprinkle with a little water occasionally during the winter. If you have a nice cool place to store it should be raring to go come springtime. Steve in Baltimore County.

o

I would leave them in the tub and move the tub into a garage or area that stays cool but doesn't freeze. Plant your poppy seeds somewhere else and then transplant them into the tub after hard freezes are over and the tub is back outside. The dahlias should take light freezes if no top growth is showing.
This solution is easier for the novice dahlia grower than trying to keep the tubers inside after digging them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here