Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting tuber after taking cuttings

Posted by GreenEarthLawns 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 15:44

Hey everybody,

First post on here. Recently moved to TN and started a lawn care company and am slowly building stock for a small nursery/cut-flower business. Looking into adding dahlia's to the list next spring and just have a quick question for those of you that take cuttings. I spent some time searching around here for the answer but couldn't seem to find what I was looking for.

That said, I'm just curious what everyone who takes cuttings does with the tuber after the cuttings are taken. I read somewhere (not sure if it was here or elsewhere online) that there's some controversy as to what to do with the tuber after cuttings are taken. Do you just plant it or wait until it sends up more shoots, or allow it to go dormant? Everything I found online didn't mention any process for the tuber after the cuttings are taken.

Appreciate any thoughts!

-GreenEarth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting tuber after taking cuttings

I don't take cuttings myself but I know one grower who takes a specified number of cuttings then plants the tuber. One can then take stem cuttings and root them off the growing plant if you want. I would think that taking endless cuttings from a tuber would exhaust it of stored energy after a while.

o
RE: Planting tuber after taking cuttings

Interesting. I didnt even know your could grow Dahlias from cuttings. Liza lily's suggestion of taking stem cutting makes sense. Right now, if I wanted to, I could snip 6-8 growing tip cuttings off of each of my plants. I may try a few in the fall just to experiment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here