Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best plan for some slug eaten dahlias?

Posted by vmarcos68 8A (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 21, 06 at 15:47

I have some dahlias that faired poorly in early to late spring. The shorter ones at the back of the dahlia bed got slug eaten and never recovered so remained short and tattered. Thinking of transplanting all of those to a more sunny patch, otherwise not going to benefit much from the summer growing season I figure. Any ideas/comments?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best plan for some slug eaten dahlias?

Go for it- it can only help. Just dig carefully so as to not disturb the roots that they have grown.

o

I ran into the same problem. Slugs ate mine down to virtually nothing before I noticed, though. Dug them up and moved them into clay pots with a mix of potting and garden soil [potting-garden-potting]. Put mulch on top. Then put them well out of reach of slugs [grrr!].

They will grow back if you give them half a chance to and salvage the remainder of their growing season quite well.

Anyone else hate slugs with a passion? >=\

o

I've had a few slugs get at my canna this year. Irritating!!!!! When I see them, I discard them.

o

• Posted by suebb 8 a NW WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 2, 06 at 23:43

I think spraying plants with Neem oil keeps the slugs away. they hate it and never munch on my plants when I use it. I know it does not kill them but works very well to repel them.

o

Started spraying mine with coffee. Yep, coffee. Slugs won't go near plants, mulch, or soil that has even a hint of coffee in it.

Unfortunate for some of my Dahlias, I noticed a bit late that they were being used by slugs as a buffet.

o

• Posted by suebb 8 a NW WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 8, 06 at 15:08

wow, I like that coffee idea, I am going to try it, thanks for the tip.

o

I'm not giving up my coffee!

Suebb- have you noticed a lack of slugs in your neck of the woods in WA this year? There is talk here in the NW that it is a very slow slug year and while watering (yet again) tonight I can attest that my own usually slug-infested gardens are virtually devoid of the creatures even under the nicest, coolest foliage or rocks.
It's really weird.

I find one on the rare occasion but not in the gardens. Early in the season, Sluggo bait went down pretty routinely but I've used that before because nothing, nothing is going to eat my dahlias, if I can help it LOL! I've used Sluggo before regularly, but even then there were slugs 3 ft up on dahlia plants, more damage evident on other plants. Even my hosta leaves barely have a nibble out of them.

What's the slug report in your area?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here