Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ichorica_gw

Loving these!

ichorica
9 years ago

So I now understand how growing these can get addictint! Absolutely light up my afternon!

Comments (14)

• davidinsf
    9 years ago

Beautiful. Love the purple/blues. Never been a big fan of white flowers but the BIG ones do make a statement in the garden.

I prefer colors and another of my favorites is Passionate. Never saw a magenta like this and it only blooms a short time with few blooms but they are well worth waiting for.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Beautiful dahlias you two! Love the purple and white especially! Too bad passionate doesn't bloom longer! It's really pretty! Judy

• cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)
    9 years ago

Do you know their names?

This post was edited by cinnie0 on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 9:57

• ichorica
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The lavender is Sky Angel and white is Fleur!

• ichorica
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gay princess...interesting name but so pretty.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

Very pretty! I love the purple and white together too.

Linda

• ichorica
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Brushstroke! So many beautiful dahlias how to narrow down for my 2nd year!?

Also a lot of my flowers have little holes in them, obviously something is enjoying a flower treat. Any tips?

• ichorica
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Strawberry Ice.

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    9 years ago

>>So many beautiful dahlias how to narrow down for my 2nd year!?

Why narrow? Expand your gardens to accomodate. :-)

Yes, I know the feeling. I went from 1 last year to 24 this year. I already have a request from my better half to increase that, so we're looking at 90 next year. That's still only about ten percent of the garden, maximum, and probably a little less.

>>Also a lot of my flowers have little holes in them, obviously something is enjoying a flower treat. Any tips?

Do you have slugs or snails? If so, manual removal or beer traps work. If you don't object to a little more chemical (but still organically approved), Sluggo and Escar Go will both take care of the problem. I don't recommend letting pets or kids get into the Sluggo/Escar Go even if it isn't very toxic to mammals.

Any pyrethrin (chrysanthemum blossom)-based spray can take care of most other pests, but only works by direct application. Miss the insect on the plant and it won't die.

It's probably not Japanese beetles, they don't really seem to care for dahlia. But if somehow it is, the season's almost over anyway.

There are other suggestions, but knowing what's nibbling the leaves would help in pointing you in a direction.

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

Oh my! You have some of the most beautiful dahlias I've ever seen! And so healthy! Thx for sharing.

• ichorica
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow thanks! This is my first year growing these and I am addicted to the possibilities!

Here is another..anyone know its name. I have it written down outside but was going to look for other similar.

• dahliafever
    9 years ago

Hi,
    Cannot tell you how many times I looked at the first picture!!! It is very beautiful! What is the name of the purple flower?

Dfever

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

I agree. That first pic needs to be on a postcard or something. Toooo beautiful!!!

• ichorica
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The purple one is called Sky Angel. It was the first to bloom and there are TONS of flowers on each plant. I got the tubers from Lowes, so 3 for $9.99. t I will say they should've been separated (or whatever the correct term for splitting them up) but I didn't know how to go about that, it being my first year.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus