Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calik8

Small dinnerplate

calik8
12 years ago

I am just getting my first flowers this year. I followed all directions that came with the tubers. The plant seems vigorous and healthy. This is supposed to be "bodacious" from Swan Island. I can't say the colors look anything like the photo on thier website. And although it is not fully open, I don't think it will end up over 10". Is it just too early to tell?

{{gwi:645956}}

Comments (16)

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Doesn't look like Bodacious. Steve in Stevens County

• redmond_phyllis
    12 years ago

Hmmm. Doesn't look like Bodacious to me either!

• teddahlia
    12 years ago

Looks like Bodacious to me.
    Nick Sr. is much better than Bodacious and has the same color scheme of red with a shade of yellow on the reverse of the petals. Nick Sr is a true "dinner plate" dahlia as it is easily 12 -14 inches in diameter.

• calik8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The folks at Swan Island insist it is Bodacious from my photo, and that the color difference is caused by the weather. That makes sense. I am actually more concerned about the size of the flower. It is just over 7 inches. I bought it because it was supposed have 11 inch flowers. I also bought a Purple Taiheijo (How do you pronounce that?!) which has a couple HUGE buds, and one is starting to open. And an Emory Paul that has no buds yet, but looks healthy and happy.

• honnat
    12 years ago

I think your bloom is Bodacious. I grew it last year; and had mixed results on the same plant. Some blooms were much bigger than others. Some looked almost exactly like the one you posted. I think it may depend on the weather.

It also depends on how many laterals (branches) you have let come up. Did you top your plant? If so, how many leaf pairs did you leave? If you want really huge blooms with a variety like Bodacious; I would only allow about 3-4 laterals to develop so that the plant puts all it's energy into those blooms. With some varities; the lower laterals develop into much larger blooms than the upper laterals.

Here is a link that might be useful: Topping Dahlias

• calik8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks honnat
    I did top the plant per the instructions that came in the box. I think I left 3 pairs, but it may have been 2. I hope the lower laterals perform better. Don;t get me wrong, it is pretty. It is just not what they described on the website. The photo they show is a bright vivid orange, and mine is more browninsh red, and a lot smaller. I do like the way the petals twist though.

• calik8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

now it is almost fully open and just about 9 inches at it's widest. Seriously, this is a really pretty flower. Almost pom-pom like in it's fullness. And so "girly" the way it curls. But NOTHING like the picture from the website.
    {{gwi:645958}}

• honnat
    12 years ago

Ooooh. that one looks way better. Mine was more red last year; but probably about the same size.

{{gwi:633416}}

• calik8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I LOVE the color of yours! I also ordered a Purple Taiheijo, and looks just like the catalog, the first flower here is 8". It reminds me of something from under the sea for some reason.
    {{gwi:645959}}

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    12 years ago

Hi, I also grew a Bodacious tuber that I purchased from Swan Island a few years ago. The first year it bloomed and looked like the picture in the catalog only maybe a bit smaller. I saved the tuber and replanted it the next year and all the flowers came out single...no more fluffy blooms:(
    Any idea why that would happen?

I love the purple taiheijo! May have to order that one next year.

Good luck with your dahlias
    Linda

• calik8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, the flowers changed that much!? Bummer!
    I will send you part of my purple taiheijo when I dig it up if you like.

• GeorgePichardo
    12 years ago

Beautiful! I also have a couple of bodacious in my yard. They always appear lazily beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Beautiful Bodacious

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    12 years ago

Hey thanks, I would love one of your purple taiheijo tubers. Maybe I could send you one of mine in trade? Most of mine are from Swan Island and I have a few others too. Mine are just barely starting to bloom. We had a really long cold wet spring here in northern Utah and they didn't get planted as early as I would have liked. But they are growing pretty well now with lots of buds on them and a few are starting to bloom.

If you would like to trade, send me your email address and I will send you a list of what I have.

Linda

• calik8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Linda, I don't really want any more Dahlia's so a trade is not necessary. I will happily send you tubers though! You can email me your address whenever you like as it will be a while before the season ends.
    Kate
    jkgvharden@hotmail.com

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    12 years ago

Hi Kate,
    I sent you an email. Thanks

• GeorgePichardo
    12 years ago

Definitely, a bodacious. I always see this variety of dahlia flower in some great selections online. This small dinnerplate dahlia has that rare beauty just like the ones I saw at one site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia Tubers

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction