Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlia Bishop s children

Posted by sunita_fleuriste 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 07 at 18:05

Hi all,

I m new to Dahlias... I m considering growing some Bishop s children from seed to put into the back of the border for next year. The site I m putting them in gets about 6hours of sunlight in the morning only.

Is this too little for them?

I wanted a dahlia that was tall and a prolific flowerer..

If anyone has suggestions for any other dahlias please let me know..

Also if you have pics of Bishops children in bloom please post some...all the pics I ve found on the net seem to from the seed companies.

S

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlia Bishop s children

^ hours? they will do fine, infact the shade will tned to make them taller.
I have seen some fine Dahlias in dapled sun, to near shade. You get less flowers but the tall lanky plants will stand out nicely. Be sure to stake them.

Dont know about Bishop's Children, 'cept I did a google image search and here you are..

o

I grew 1/2 pack of these and I love them. The tallest is 38" & they don't need to be staked.

The Monarchs adore them, which was a surprise because I have never seen Dahlias on any nectar lists.

I don't have any pictures, but I would say the photo above is close, yet not accurate. About 30% had the dark eye and about 50% had the dark foliage, and mine were 100% single flowers. No semidoubles like the photo. I did't get any solid yellow (didn't want 'em anyway).

I probably should have sown the whole pack of 100 and then culled all the green ones when they were babies, but I didn't.

Some of these were so pretty that I am going to overwinter the tubers.

6 hours of sun is more than enough. I am growing mine in about 4 hours and they're fine.

Lime

o

Anyone have a source for the seeds? All I seem to find available are plants and I want seed instead.

Thanks
Linda

o

I haven't had Bishops Children but have grown Bishop of Llandaff and Bishop of York in part sun/shade nd they were about 4-5 ft tall and just fabulous. No wonder Llandaff is one of the most popular dahlias of all time.

here are 2 seed companies that have it - just have to google
Dianes http://www.dianeseeds.com/Index.html

Thomson Morgan
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/product/7035/1

heres's Llandaff and York grown in containers on the deck
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

I made a mistake in saying mine grow in 4 hours of sun. I should have said "they get afternoon shade from at least 2:00 on. I think it's closer to 6 hours of sun.

Lime

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here