Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newdahlia06

Dahlia Pests

newdahlia06
14 years ago

I bought a 'Maxi Topia' Dahlia about 3 weeks ago from the nursery at which I worked for part of this summer. I have been diligent with it, watering it only when the soil is dry, and not watering the foliage; only the soil (except for the fact that it has been unusually rainy this summer.) It is potted in a ceramic, frost-proof pot. The blooms have been gorgeous, however currently there are only buds because I have trimmed off the old blooms.

My question regards a little bit of what I think is a pest problem. The box elder bugs are out and about, and I have noticed a few crawling around on the foliage of my Dahlia. In a few places, there are holes developing on the foliage, starting from the middle of the leaf on outward. I have been told by several sources that that box elder bugs do not eat Dahlias, and that they are merely an annoyance; not a problem. there are no other bugs on my Dahlia, in fact it is a very healthy plant, save for some water damage from the rain on a few leaves.

I am contemplating using an insecticide/pesticide on the plant, but I am not sure if it is the right decision. I am very 'pro-natural' - no chemicals, no preservatives in my food, etc. But I really do want to make sure that my plant stays healthy and pest free...any remedies, products, or possible suggestions as to what the true problem may be? If pictures needed, I can provide.

Thanks!

Comments (2)