Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jroot_gw

Mixed Border or just plain mixed gardening for misslucinda

jroot
15 years ago

Okay, misslucinda, you wanted to see some shots of some beds where there is mixed border gardening, or just plain old mixed gardening going on. Here are a few shots taken this evening, with no staging or anything going on.

{{gwi:646315}}

{{gwi:646316}}

{{gwi:646317}}

{{gwi:646318}}

{{gwi:646319}}

{{gwi:646321}}

{{gwi:646323}}

{{gwi:646325}}

{{gwi:646327}}

{{gwi:646329}}

{{gwi:646330}}

{{gwi:646331}}

{{gwi:646332}}

{{gwi:646333}}

{{gwi:646334}}

Comments (8)

• pdshop
    15 years ago

That is one large and beautiful garden. Love ethe house also. Mine are in mixed borders also. I have to go out and get some fillers today. It has been so hot that I don't dare leave on a trip as I have to water everyday.

• misslucinda
    15 years ago

Well thank you John!

I must say you really qualify as a 'clever' garden designer. In your last picture and 'garden room' I appreciate the logic of the dahlias by the fireplace (and sturgeonguy has the same arrangement) as you can have a glass of wine there in the evening through October.

In the rest of the photos, you have made every possible use of a hilly topography and enhanced limited bed space and added vertical dimension through your use of pots.

However, I am absolutely delighted by photo number two. You have turned an unamenable alley-like space between two buildings into an absolute sanctuary. The staggering of the stone on the left is really the back bone and the composition only gets better from there.

You are not the only artist in the family.

Lucinda

• vikingcraftsman
    15 years ago

Very nice JROOT. I can see a lot of hard work went into that. I can see some one sitting in the garden coffee in hand a bowl of cereal on the table.

• sturgeonguy
    15 years ago

Truly gorgeous! I sure wouldn't want to have to cut and trim your grass though...;-]

Cheers,
    Russ

• jroot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually, we tend to sit under the deck a lot more. I saw that there was free space under the deck, so I added the railings, screened windows, and a door. I also bricked the area and added a false ceiling of fibreglass on a slope which takes away any water that gets through the deck boards above.

It is a great place to sit on a warm day like today, as the breezes get through. Sipping on lemonade, or martinis ( whatever is offered ) is an enjoyable experience, as we can watch the sun set, and enjoy the garden without the bugs eating us alive. In the evening, there are solar LED lights and candles to create a romantic mood. Who says I am "too old for that stuff". LOL
    {{gwi:646335}}
    {{gwi:646336}}
    {{gwi:646337}}
    {{gwi:646338}}
    {{gwi:646339}}

• dahlia_newbie
    15 years ago

Wow, Jroot, your garden is just the type I wish for. It's awesome - and I mean that in the grown-up dialect, it inspires awe. How many years has it taken to reach that point? It's just beautiful!!!!!! The architectural elements, the flowers, the greenery, it's a real masterpiece! Can you tell me what the plant is in front of the fence in the photo third from bottom in your original post? It fills the top bed near the hose reel? I like it a lot. I wonder if it could grow here? I need something low to the ground to put in front of my elephant ear beds, canna, and split-leaf philodendren beds. I like your black magic EE's, by the way. Aren't those stunning?

• jroot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dahlia newbie,

Thank you for your kind words.

That plant you were asking about is some sort of perennial geranium. I was given a few pieces of it about 8 years ago. It gets about a foot tall, and spreads, but is easily yanked out from places you don't want it. Actually in the middle of it, near the hydrangea is a tree peony. I hope it doesn't get strangled by this stuff.

• dahlia_newbie
    15 years ago

Thanks, Jroot, I might just print that pic out and save it for my plant-finding tour next spring. Geraniums do grow well for me, as long as my husband doesn't mistake them for weeds :). I would love to have peonies too, but not a cold enough winter here. Someday, I hope to have a garden like yours to relax and drink wine in!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia