Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybugsmom192

stems too weak? please help

ladybugsmom192
13 years ago

hi there, i'm a new dahlia owner/lover and i'm a bit nervous about it.

i have a huge one about 3 ft, with white/cream colored flowers and the stems seem to be too weak to support the new flower buds/ball growth. is this normal?

although i'm new to growing dahlias, it doesn't seem right that they'd need staking so soon in the process. the flower buds aren't big at all, less the largest ones are no bigger than a quarter to a half an inch.

is there anything i should be aware of or be doing? i am planning on staking them once i get them in teh ground, which i don't as of yet. heading out there now....

angela

Comments (8)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

Did you start them in part shade? They may have stretched a bit to find the light. And it all depends on variety, some of mine have very stocky stems and some have thin stems. I stake all of mine and I am trying a few with the tomato cage method this year in my cutting garden.

Good luck!

Keriann~

• ladybugsmom192
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks kariann!

since you've mentioned sun, i think that's the problem!! we had a heatwave tear going on for the first few weeks after i got the dahlia, and she didn't do well, so i panicked and moved her to the shade under my maple tree where she's been ever since.

it makes since now - the stems are reaching for the sun! i even have some blooms laying on the ground!! i better get her to the sun and quick!

i really want to get her in the ground, not a planter, but the only area that gets good sun, primarily gets pm sun and i'm not sure at all that she can handle that...CAN SHE?

i have no idea what she is, i got her from my local home depot and there was no tag. it was love at first site.
    thanks again

angela

• gardenerme
    13 years ago

I've got mine on a south facing slope with excellent drainage and very hot sun all day. They are fine. Go for it!

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

I agree, I think they will do fine. They are tough buggers and watering is far easier in the ground. Best of luck!

Cheers

Keriann~

• ladybugsmom192
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks you two! i'm gonna go for it and put her in the ground in that sunny area - it's next to my fountain and i think it'll be so pretty there.

i'm nervous - do you all get attached to you plants too? lol!

• keriann_lakegeneva
    13 years ago

I sure do!

I had guests over last weekend and their son was so nice and brought me a huge bouquet of flowers, only problem was they were all from my show gardens and not from my cutting gardens. It was hard to keep a smile once I realized he cut every bloom of my favorite NOID large white dahlia. He was so proud, I couldn't help but just enjoy them.

Keriann~

• pvdahlia
    13 years ago

Check your fertilizer! The wrong fertilizer or insufficient fertilizer is notorious for causing weak, skinny stems. Dahlias need a fertilizer that has a relatively low nitrogen and high potassium and phosporus content (exactly the opposite of what you get when you reach for Miracle Gro!). Unfortunately I found out the hard way last year. Fertilizers meant for bulbs or even for vegetables that have a low first number and higer second and third numbers are better options. Good luck!

• ladybugsmom192
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ok, i did it!! i've got her in the ground!! i put her in on tuesday (took me that long to get up the nerve!), and as of today she's doing well. and dear hubby got me what i think to be a miniature one, so i've got them planted next to each other. they get late morning to late afternoon sun, and my big girl (the one i've been fretting over) is starting to bloom! i'm excited.

i've been giving her tomato fertilizer and she really seems to like it. so i'm keeping my fingers crossed!

thanks again everyone!