Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gracesf_gw

Name that dahlia

graceSF
10 years ago

Hi all,
Some of my dahlias are finally blooming. Two have opened up and it seems I have no idea what they are. I labelled this one Duet an it is clearly not duet. Anybody have any idea what it could be? The first flower off of it was about 6" in diameter.

Comments (13)

• graceSF
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess on my phone I can only add one picture per post. This is unknown dahlia number 2. I do not recall buying anything like this and the pot was unlabeled. I have a few more unknowns but they aren't blooming yet. Stay tuned for those. If anyone has a clue let me know. Oh, this one is maybe 3 to 4" in diameter. Thanks!

• steve22802
    10 years ago

The first picture looks exactly like a variety I have blooming called Sky Angel. Do you remember planting one with that name last year?

• graceSF
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steve - thank you!!! That is it. I never would have remembered the name. Thank you so much!

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Wow, Sky Angel is beautiful!

• graceSF
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've got another. I got this dahlia from my local dahlia society and it was labeled Alpen Pearl which is an anemone type. This is more like a ball type.... Anyone know what it could be?

I've got more coming they just need to bloom first....

• mandolls
    10 years ago

The second one with the open center and the twisty leaves could be Akita, I grew a couple last year and though the color didnt have that much yellow, it looks similar.

• graceSF
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi mandolls, that's interesting. I did purchase a bag of Akita tubers from my local nursery, so it is possible that this is one that just didn't get labelled. The other Akitas haven't bloomed yet. It doesn't look anything like the picture on the bag or any pictures I've seen online. The pictures look more like an informal decorative almost like a semi cactus. But I guess there could be variation??

• mandolls
    10 years ago

I got two Akita tubers in trade last year. I ended up tossing them at the end of the year. They were all open centered with really twisty leaves on really weak stems, so the flopped over on the plant. They were kind of cool, but hey didnt look good in the garden or in a vase. I floated a few blooms in a bowl of water, but that was all I could do with them.

• tastedeath
    10 years ago

1st one looks like the lowes special they call it orion
    the last one is probally Ms Kennedy a very popular pom

• graceSF
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mandolls those are quite pretty flowers but a bummer that they weren't the best plants. The flower in the top of the picture is very similar to mine. I will post when the other plant flowers. Thanks for the pic!

Tastedeath - I will relabel that Pom Ms Kennedy. Thanks!

• graceSF
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one was labeled snowbound. The bloom was about 4 inches but could be smaller than what it should be because I have it in a pot & it's got very bad powdery mildew problems. It's very pretty though, the petals curved back towards the stem. Any ideas what it could be?

• Steve555
    10 years ago

Hi Folks,
    Ms Kennedy is not a Pom but a Mini Ball. Size limit for Poms is 2". Picture shows a spent dahlia. Powdery mildew can quickly be eracated in a few hours with JMS Stylet Oil. It's organic.
    Steve

• Steve555
    10 years ago

Hi Folks,
    Ms Kennedy is not a Pom but a Mini Ball. Size limit for Poms is 2". Picture shows a spent dahlia. Powdery mildew can quickly be eracated in a few hours with JMS Stylet Oil. It's organic.
    Steve

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm