Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name that dahlia

Posted by graceSF (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 19:37

Hi all,
Some of my dahlias are finally blooming. Two have opened up and it seems I have no idea what they are. I labelled this one Duet an it is clearly not duet. Anybody have any idea what it could be? The first flower off of it was about 6" in diameter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name that dahlia

I guess on my phone I can only add one picture per post. This is unknown dahlia number 2. I do not recall buying anything like this and the pot was unlabeled. I have a few more unknowns but they aren't blooming yet. Stay tuned for those. If anyone has a clue let me know. Oh, this one is maybe 3 to 4" in diameter. Thanks!

o

The first picture looks exactly like a variety I have blooming called Sky Angel. Do you remember planting one with that name last year?

o

Steve - thank you!!! That is it. I never would have remembered the name. Thank you so much!

o

Wow, Sky Angel is beautiful!

o

I've got another. I got this dahlia from my local dahlia society and it was labeled Alpen Pearl which is an anemone type. This is more like a ball type.... Anyone know what it could be?

I've got more coming they just need to bloom first....

o

The second one with the open center and the twisty leaves could be Akita, I grew a couple last year and though the color didnt have that much yellow, it looks similar.

o

Hi mandolls, that's interesting. I did purchase a bag of Akita tubers from my local nursery, so it is possible that this is one that just didn't get labelled. The other Akitas haven't bloomed yet. It doesn't look anything like the picture on the bag or any pictures I've seen online. The pictures look more like an informal decorative almost like a semi cactus. But I guess there could be variation??

o

I got two Akita tubers in trade last year. I ended up tossing them at the end of the year. They were all open centered with really twisty leaves on really weak stems, so the flopped over on the plant. They were kind of cool, but hey didnt look good in the garden or in a vase. I floated a few blooms in a bowl of water, but that was all I could do with them.

o

1st one looks like the lowes special they call it orion
the last one is probally Ms Kennedy a very popular pom

o

Mandolls those are quite pretty flowers but a bummer that they weren't the best plants. The flower in the top of the picture is very similar to mine. I will post when the other plant flowers. Thanks for the pic!

Tastedeath - I will relabel that Pom Ms Kennedy. Thanks!

o

This one was labeled snowbound. The bloom was about 4 inches but could be smaller than what it should be because I have it in a pot & it's got very bad powdery mildew problems. It's very pretty though, the petals curved back towards the stem. Any ideas what it could be?

o

Hi Folks,
Ms Kennedy is not a Pom but a Mini Ball. Size limit for Poms is 2". Picture shows a spent dahlia. Powdery mildew can quickly be eracated in a few hours with JMS Stylet Oil. It's organic.
Steve

o

Hi Folks,
Ms Kennedy is not a Pom but a Mini Ball. Size limit for Poms is 2". Picture shows a spent dahlia. Powdery mildew can quickly be eracated in a few hours with JMS Stylet Oil. It's organic.
Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here