Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gracesf_gw

Show me your dahlias

graceSF
10 years ago

I want to see some pictures! Please post pictures of your blooms. My dahlia season may not be the greatest this year. I've already got huge mildew problems and a virus going around. Plus my yard is under construction so the dahlias are struggling in their pots. This may be my new favorite dahlia. Mingus Toni. It's beautiful.

Comments (51)

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Here is the other NOID yellow.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

I like your dahlia's colors. It is very pretty. Does it look as nice (color not fading) when it is fully opened?

• graceSF
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi kousa, your pics are beautiful! This is the first time I've grown mingus Toni so not sure if the color fades. In July we don't get much sun so I won't be able to gauge how the sun fades the color. I'll let you know if I see any change. This red one called Juanita has not faded at all but again, it's really foggy here. The sky angel from my other post turns more white as it opens. It's really pretty.

• symi77
    10 years ago

graceSF , kousa - you have Beautiful dahlias!!!

Here is mine dahlias.

• graceSF
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Symi77- your dahlias are beautiful!! What is the name of the pinkish lacinated looking one in the middle?

• symi77
    10 years ago

One more photo :

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

OMG, you have such gorgeous dahlias, Symi77, and beautiful dahlias garden too. Boy, I would love to put a bench near your dahlia beds and spend all day gazing at and enjoying the flowers. I also like you combo of glads and dahlias. They complement each other greatly. Nice job!

• graceSF
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Symi77 your garden is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing.

• graceSF
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is my Bluetiful. It would probably look more Bluetiful if it were actually planted in the ground.

• graceSF
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HH spiderwoman. This one bloom has lasted for weeks. It's amazing!

• Lorna1949
    10 years ago

I grow about 50 plants of dahlia and about 100 callas lily
    ok so a little crazy

• Noni Morrison
    10 years ago

Here is Hollyhill Pink Tiger, one that I really love. The flower is large for a waterlily type.

• MyOtherHomeIsAGarden
    10 years ago

WOW symi77 where do you live?! That is such an amazing dahlia garden and so early! How beautiful. Here's one of mine that called itself a "blue Dahlia" but of course its a purpleish pink, not any less beautiful though :) and the bees LOVE it ha.

• MyOtherHomeIsAGarden
    10 years ago

My Firebird, and the longer it goes the more cactus style it gets and the red migrates more to the edges with a bright yellow center.

• MyOtherHomeIsAGarden
    10 years ago

Im not sure what this one is called but its it's second year in my garden and produces the biggest flowers in my garden.

• MyOtherHomeIsAGarden
    10 years ago

Started this one from seed this year.

• MommaCarp
    10 years ago

All of your beautiful dahlia photos inspired me to post a few of my own! My favorites so far are the Mingus Toni and Hollyhill Pink Tiger. And of course symi77's dahlia garden is incredible!

My dahlia blooms are slowly trickling in and here is what is blooming so far:

Hollyhill Sapphire
    {{gwi:646580}}

Sonic Bloom
    {{gwi:646581}}

{{gwi:646582}}

Seattle
    {{gwi:646583}}

Unknown
    {{gwi:646584}}

{{gwi:646586}}

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

Here's a classic one for you. Love this, but it has to be staked very well because the lateral stalks will literally crack off onto the ground under its own weight. Happened to two of these plants a month ago.

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

Here's a Lacinated dahlia. I'd say about six inches wide. Very pretty, but the petals start drooping in the back pretty quickly. They say Lacinates are poor cutters.

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

By the way, M. Carp, I love your Hollyhill Sapphire! I'd love that in my garden.

Here's a sweet little number that has amazing staying power...it opened on 8-3...

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

My Mingus Toni is not quite as dark as the first poster. It's a great cutter, and seems to be loved as a classic variegated variety. Not my fav, but it is nice, with plenty of of indestructible tubers.

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

M. Carp, your NOID might be Cisco. I just saw one online and it reminded me of yours.

• MommaCarp
    10 years ago

Hi CCvacation! The Hollyhill Sapphire is new for me this year and I'm glad I tried it. It is more purple than the reddish pink that shows in the photos. It has given me lots of blooms already with plenty of buds still coming.

Thanks for the suggestion on my NOID, too. I looked up Cisco and the only photo I could find (on Verrone's website) shows somewhat messy? petals, unlike mine, but the color combo/varigation is right on. My NOID also has an open center, so I'm not sure.

I got another new bloom this week that I believe is Ben Huston. Again, this one is more of an orangey/bronze color than the photo shows:

{{gwi:646588}}

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    10 years ago

Wow! ... that's about all I can add.

• steve22802
    10 years ago

Here's a picture i took a few days ago of a gorgeous intense scarlet dahlia I received from another GW member this spring. I don't currently have the correct cultivar name matched with it though. Any ideas?.

{{gwi:646589}}

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

M. Carp... Check out https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201830814878882&set=oa.699010190124698&type=3&theater

Steve, at first glance, I thought maybe AC Rosebud, but I don't think the blooms are as full yours. http://www.arrowheaddahlias.com/popup_image.php?pID=785

What's the size on that? Looks small.

This post was edited by CCvacation on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 22:36

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

This is by FAR my favorite collarette... The largest, too. Tubers are fickle to keep, though. Can we say cuttings, cuttings, cuttings?

• graceSF
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great photos! Here's my Normandy Orange fluff. CCvacation, my mingus Toni looks darker probably because we hardly get any sun in San Francisco!
    Love the sapphire, pink tigress & Vassio meggos but really all of the pics are beautiful!

• MyOtherHomeIsAGarden
    10 years ago

My Akita opened. I love it

• MyOtherHomeIsAGarden
    10 years ago

My Skipley Claudia J opened, shes a pretty one.

• graceSF
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Myotherhomeisagarden, your dahlias are beautiful! Here's my nick sr not quite all the way open. It's huge!!

• MyOtherHomeIsAGarden
    10 years ago

Thanks graceSF :) yours are too, its easy to start a collection thats for sure.

• MyOtherHomeIsAGarden
    10 years ago

That nick sr does look huge! Love the color combo, here's a pink semi cacti that I got randomly out of a seed pack that was supposed have more layers, but I think its cool.

• avamava
    10 years ago

{{gwi:646590}}

{{gwi:646591}}

{{gwi:646592}}

{{gwi:646593}}

{{gwi:646594}}

{{gwi:646595}}

This is my first year with the dahlias in dedicated raised beds. They are in 16 square feet. I have lost count of how many I planted, but they are pretty dense. Probably about 8-10 in each bed. Not all came up.

Unfortunately I did not label my plants so it is a matter of guesswork, but I can usually deduce what is blooming from my original receipt and descriptions.

But anyway, so far so good. They have LOVED the weather this summer. We get a good soaking every 2-3 days and there have been some good sunny spells as well, and it hasn't been all that hot.

• jesper1962
    10 years ago

A few pictures from this year:

Hapet Stellar Rubin
    {{gwi:646597}}

Bojas Farm
    {{gwi:646599}}

Blyton Softer Gleam
    {{gwi:646601}}

Hapet Herz Ass
    {{gwi:646602}}

• steve siran
    10 years ago

3rd year growing, first time poster here in northern IL. Here is just one of many-

This post was edited by stevegs1 on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 0:40

• steve siran
    10 years ago

And another:

• mirendajean (Ireland)
    10 years ago

I'm new to Dahlia growing. I'm proud that I've grown them big and healthy. It's very wet and cloudy here, but my Dalias are huge.

{{gwi:646603}}

{{gwi:646604}}

{{gwi:646605}}

{{gwi:646606}}

{{gwi:646607}}

{{gwi:646608}}

Thanks for letting me share them.

M

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    10 years ago

I'm a first time dahlia grower, too; this is my first bloom!

We had a never ending cold spring, so I planted late and am still waiting on most of my blooms, but the plants have seem to enjoy this wet, cool summer so far!

All your photos, as well as this perky guy have just confirmed that I need more dahlias for next year!
    Popular Guest:

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

Hi there,
    My favourit, new for me this season: Taratahi Ruby. The flowers are amazingly huge and I just love this glowing red, due to yellow at the base of the flower.

Bye, Lin

• steve22802
    10 years ago

Me too Lin! I got a tuber of Taratahi Ruby passed along from another generous gardener and it's one of my top favorites this season. The flowers come out well formed and they hold their bright ruby red color very well without fading. A real winner!

• steve22802
    10 years ago

Me too Lin! I got a tuber of Taratahi Ruby passed along from another generous gardener and it's one of my top favorites this season. The flowers come out well formed and they hold their bright ruby red color very well without fading. A real winner!

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

I was very happy to see this one starting to bloom.

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

Nice giant, with quite a number of large blooms at the same time off one plant.

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

Here's a cutie that is oddly blooming late for me this year... Rockstar.

• mytime
    10 years ago

My rockstar is truly a "star" of my garden...it just blooms and blooms and blooms!

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

Well, maybe I'll give it another year, then. It obtained a very healthy twelve inches, with beautiful ferny foliage, and just sat there until giving just two blooms in the last two weeks. Perhaps it will kick into gear next season.

Here's an old favorite of mine... Sara Mae, at about eight inches.

• mytime
    10 years ago

I bought Caribbean Fantasy last year, and it did nothing, so this year has been a pleasant surprise...many blooms!
    {{gwi:646609}}

• steve22802
    10 years ago

Here's a really gorgeous large dahlia (Formby Kaitlyn) that opened up a few days ago. The picture doesn't fully do it justice. It has that iridescent purple sheen that is nearly impossible to capture in photos. (I'm holding it in my hand for scale.)

{{gwi:646610}}

• CCvacation
    10 years ago

Nice seeing your formby Kaitlyn, Steve. That's one that I was hoping to see in my garden, but only obtained eighteen inches before disappearing under other more vigourous varieties. With luck, I'll have a couple tubers for next year's attempt.

Caribbean Fantasy seems a contradiction into itself, with the white, yellow and pink folding back into itself. Glad it did well for you, Mytime.

Here's one that recently opened for me, that I've been hearing about from dahlia friends for the last two years... Show & Tell. Well worth the wait, it is absolutely magnificent! Oh, and so is the Praying Mantis.