Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
July too late to plant dahlia tubers?

Posted by gardener_at_the_gate 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 07 at 19:55

I just came into possession of four dahlia tubers that have not been planted this year. It's too late to plant them and have them bloom before first frost this fall, but I need to know if they will survive if I store them now in a cool, dry place.

What should I do to store them, OR should I go ahead and plant them now? I don't usually dig up my dahlias in the Fall -- I just mulch very heavily, and they seem to be coming back just fine.

Anyone with advice would be much appreciated. I'm new at this, and I really want to be sure these four dahlias survive until next spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: July too late to plant dahlia tubers?

If you usually leave your tubers in the ground then just go ahead and plant them. EVen if they do not bloom they will be storing up energy underground for next year. I Am doing that now with some late sprouters, including some I found in the bucket of blind tubers that was waiting to go into the compost and got lost....:-)

o
RE: July too late to plant dahlia tubers?

Is July too late to plant dahlias and tulips in the United Kingdom? Do they regrow each year or are they annuals?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here