Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilcaro

I have no clue what to do with my new Dahlia. Please Help!!

lilcaro
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

My name is Carolina and rite now I live in San Jose Costa Rica. I planted two Dahlias last week, they are growing but I want to do it rite, I have search online but almost everyone talks about how to take care of the plants but taking in consideration the regular seasons, we just have 3 different types of season: summer, winter(which is not too cold but it has heavyrains in the afternoon and the mornings often are sunny) and the hard cold wind from the end of the year.

I have them on a pot out side in a little backyard that has litgh and protects them from the wind.

Should I keep them inside of the house or outside with the afternoon rain?

and also one of the plants I put it on a little garden area but next to my roses and a little space, should I plant it on a pot????????

What is the rite way to do it without hurting my baby??

Please any advise or tip will be the best rite now.

Comments (4)

• Poochella
    15 years ago

There's one man who can help you best and that is Raul in Mexico; he's closest to your location and weather.

Here are the questions I have: how big is the pot, how heavy are the rains, how small is the space in the rose garden? Dahlias are pretty tough if supported and not exposed to severe heat, wind, pelting rain.

• lilcaro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanx a lot for your answer, here are the details of the pot and the space in the garden:
    -the pot is 25,5 cms across and 15 cms deep.
    -the space in the graden is like 17cms across and 15 cms deep.

The rains are tropical (torrential).
    also in my little backyard they get exposed to the sun but because I live in a two storie house the are in a fresh place.I am pretty surprise as the Dahlia that is on the garden is growing 3 times faster that the one on the pot.
    Thanx a lot once again.

• Poochella
    15 years ago

Hi Carolina,
    Torrential rains don't sound ideal. If you keep them in a pot, it seems like it would be ideal to move them under shelter during the rains, then back out for sun. A lot of work, but possible.

A lot depends on the expected size/height of the dahlia too. Your pot sounds a bit too small unless it is a smaller container dahlia (18-24 inches or so tall.) I've grown 4 ft dahlias in pots, but they were larger shrub pots each with a stake. (see the link below) They provided enough flowers and tubers, and got full height, but I think the garden dahlias of the same variety grew better overall. Could be the soil in the garden was better. Maybe your garden soil is more fertile as well or rose fertilizer is helping the dahlias along?

I would think the sun needed for roses would be good for dahlias too, but I'd hope for at least 45 cm/ 18" all around and more space would be better for a larger dahlia. It can't hurt to try one there.

Those are my thoughts without knowing much about Costa Rica, but it sure sounds nice! I wish you well in whatever you decide to do. They are tough enough to have grown this far, so you are on your way!

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing dahlias in pots link

• lilcaro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanx a lot,
    I tried a forum in Spanish and so far this is the best and clear advised someone ever gave me. I will take everything you told me into consideration and hopefully in a couple of months I will be able to post some lovely Dahlias
    Thanx once again