Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unitylove

White Spots and possibly heat damage on Dahlia leaves

unitylove
13 years ago

About 2 months ago I bought a pink dahlia (in a Susan G. Komen pot) from Lowe's. I don't know the variety, the tag just says Dahlia Hybrida and Dahlietta Louise Dahlia. It had 2 flowers on it when I bought it.

I left it outside a week or so before Memorial day when we had a rain storm. Within a few days after the storm it reached 100 degrees and was very dry. The leaves of my dahlia were fried.

I cut off the dried dead leaves and flowers on the advice of a gardner with much more experience. The plant started to recover but developed these little white spots all over the leaves. They never went away and then the leaves became dry and lost flexibility. Their texture is still rough and dry. Now they've developed these dry brown edges too.

I have also sprayed with an organic soap type of insecticide.

I spray water on them with the hose every morning and in temperatures over 95 degrees I water them in the afternoon too. I keep them in a pot against the eastern side of the house where they get full sun until about 2 pm when the house casts a full shadow over the plant's area.

I haven't repotted the plant and have fertilized it with a bloom booster twice in the last two months. Any suggestions I might try to nurse it back to health would be much appreciated (since I clearly don't know what I'm doing).

Thanks so much!

Unity

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz