Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dahlia cross bred?

Posted by tropical_thought San Francisco (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 20:16

I planted keven floodlight and big pink and this year I have two big pinks, one keven and one big plant that looks like big pink on the outside but is yellow inside, but the flowers are small. If you remember I posted back then, I was too lazy to dig them up and I just left the in the ground over winter to sink or swim.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dahlia cross bred?

Sure sounds like you might have inadvertently started a hybridizing program! Care to share a picture of your seedling?

o
Here is a photo

This is how it looks right now. The flowers are small compared to the parents, if this is a cross. I don't know, it must be I don't recall buying another bulb or one like this.

o

I'm betting it's a Boogie Woogie dahlia. I've bought many that were labeled one thing and turned out another. Unc

o

Thanks that must be it. Just by random chance it has the same colors as Kevin and big pink which is a purplish pink.

o

I meant to ask if those might have come from Michigan Bulb. I know they sell those varieties and I have occasionally received a couple that were mis-labeled. The ones I have bought from there have never failed to bloom beautifully although MB does receive some bad raps. That pic you posted is a beautiful. I always say, I've never seen an ugly dahlia.

o

The name boogie sounds familiar. I may have bought it and neglected to write down in my notes. I may have bought it as a tribute to the 70s. It does match the other two so the colors don't clash. I only have a small garden. I can't have too many , but they are increasing in size so I will have to give away some by next year. I don't think the company was at fault, as I have both big pink and floodlight. If the bulb was wrong it was a bonus bulb, not a case of a mistaken order.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here