Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sturgeonguy

Mid-month update

sturgeonguy
15 years ago

Well, the beds are progressing...albeit slowly...but then many people seem to be having the same problem (ok, not VikingCraftsman or JRoot, but others.)

Here's my 3rd installment in my twice monthly pics. Click on any of the pics and see a slideshow of 11 pics.

{{gwi:646893}}

I've finally got a bloom in my 100+ bed, I was getting worried that none would ever bloom there.

Check out the rest of my recently added pics, which includes a blooming 4' canna and my twin peaks, a pair of blooming yuccas, my grapes (which are finally going to give me tons of grapes), the smoke bush and more.

Cheers,

Russ

Comments (6)

• jroot
    15 years ago

I got three of the 11 shots to show. The others seemed to be stuck, or maybe it is me being impatient. :)

Nice idea for showing though. Thanks Russ.

• sturgeonguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hopefully its you...;-] I just tried it again and it works, but I have a pretty fast connection so it could be the size of the pictures on a slower link.

Cheers,
    Russ

• anna_in_quebec
    15 years ago

Russ - when did you plant them out? I was delayed by a back problem - planted out in mid to late June, but mine seem to be as tall as yours. Maybe they are slow this year? And as an aside - my garden is silent this year - no bees - very disturbing. I have become so used to their activity, it's almost lonely without them.

Anna

• sturgeonguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My earliest cutting was taken on 2/28, for tubers I carried over from last year. Lots, however, came from tubers that were new for me this year. Those tubers didn't arrive until March, and cuttings came from April and beyond.

I know that I didn't give them enough light as cuttings, something I am working on for next year.

I totally agree that they seem slow this year. We've had thunderstorms on a regular (e.g. every couple of days) basis, but I'm also convinced I haven't received much water as a result. Meanwhile, I've kept my sprinklers off, so I do think I have deprived mine of enough water. Hopefully, next week, this will be resolved and I plan on giving them a few weeks of "good" watering in the hopes this will make a difference. We'll see.

FWIW, every one that has bloomed, has gone gangbusters as soon as the first flower was cut off. Not sure what that means, but its interesting.

Cheers,
    Russ

• sturgeonguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just realized I didn't really answer your question, Anna.

My lakeside beds were planted out the last week of May. (Link to pics)

My roadside bed was planted out the last week of June. (Link to pics)

The only reason for the different dates was because I was selling cuttings up to the middle of June, so I didn't know what I would have left over for the roadside bed.

That being said, my lakeside beds are on the north side of the house, and while they get sun all day, they don't get as much as the roadside beds get. Also, my sprinkler system hasn't been working yet this year, so they haven't gotten as much water as I think they should have. That should be fixed next week.

Cheers,
    Russ

• jroot
    15 years ago

I have watered the dahlias every day ( early in the morning) , unless there is a heavy rain. I think that it was the last few days of May that I planted, but I did start them earlier under florescent lamps, and had them outside in pots most of May, taking them back into the garage when cold threatened.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider