Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dahlia problem

Posted by nickers3 Idaho (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 20:49

I have been growing dahlias for 4 years now and have not had a problem until this year. I started my plants indoors and then transplanted outdoors 1.5 months ago. My plants have been droopy, then the bottom leaves started turning brown and dying, and moving up the stem until only about the top 1/4 of the plant has green foliage. I have 25 plants and this has happened to almost every one. Most of my stems have all turned a dark purple color. The first bloom I had did the same thing, the underneath of the bloom wilted and dried out. We had clay before and they grew fine. This year we dug the clay out and replaced with a topsoil. I am wondering if maybe they are missing a nutrient? I did fertilize with a Miracle Gro liquid hooked onto the hose. I have checked for spider mites and no evidence. I have been watering the same as always, and everything else in the garden around them seem to be doing fine. Any suggestions? THANK YOU!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dahlia problem

I'm not an expert in the garden but I had a similar problem last summer with my sunflowers. I came to the conclusion it is a fungal problem in the root system. We don't get much sun in the summer and sometimes the ground just doesn't warm up and dry out. I got a powder called Actinovate and fed the plants with it and it really helped. It definitely helps with fungal issues. I just treated all my plants today even though I haven't noticed a problem. The powder adds beneficial microbes that help root systems. My local hydroponics store also had another brand of microbe that also helps roots out but don't remember the name. Maybe go into your local stores and ask them. I found nothing at Home Depot and more commercial like nurseries. These items were carried in more organic gardening type places. I hope this helps.

o
RE: Dahlia problem

You might also try a tablespoon of Epson Salt at the base of each plant, watered in well. It is amazing how the Magnesium helps dahlia plants!

Good luck, and please update us on what you've tried, and it's result!

CC

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here