Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepcan

I have no buds on my Dahlia

pepcan
17 years ago

I have a balcony garden, all my plants are in containers. I re-planted a tuber from last year. Did everything needed to keep over the winter, eyes growing, all was well. Has been growing since April and has lovely leaves (now starting to brown) and is about 5feet tall. NO BUDS, where are my buds. Last year it was full of flowers. What should I consider doing with it now?

Comments (8)

• jroot
    17 years ago

It is hard to say. Your "page" just says you are in Canada, which as you know has a multitude of different growing zones. Mine just started to open this past week, and I must admit I started them earlier than most. In the garden tour this week, folks were pleasantly shocked to see dahlias open so early.

Patience is a virtue. They will come.

• pepcan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks jroot, I have updated my profile.
    You say your Dahlias are just starting to open this past week. Thats wonderful!!!
    My plant doesn't even have buds, it is nothing but leaves. All the new growth is leafy there is no sign of any kind of bud at all. Last year June I received this plant as a gift and it was full of blooms which continued all summer.
    You also mention people are surprised to see blooms this early...I'm confused when I go to the garden center they have several blooms. Just an observation.

• jroot
    17 years ago

Ah, but those grown in greenhouses and sold in nurseries are started early,- to tempt us as we meander through. I note that you are from zone 5 Canada. So am I. I will say that I do have a couple of dahlias that have not set buds yet, just some. Give it a bit more time.

• pepcan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Of course, I will give it more time. I would just like to see a sign of a bud.
    Thanks for your kind words and will report back later to let you know how things have grown.

• thaibasilpesto
    17 years ago

Pepcan, if it's 5 feet tall without any blooms it almost certainly has been fed a little too much N I T R O G E N.
    Cut that out. Quit fussing with the miracle-gro! Nitrogen makes things get big. You need something else.

Switch to a high phosphorous food (that's the middle number in those 20/20/20 ratios) and you should see some flowering. Greenlight makes a 10/50/10 that is worth it. There's hope for you and your dahlias.

• triple_b
    17 years ago

yes, you have plenty of time.

• pepcan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks thaibasilpesto. The plant is suppose to be this big. I've been feeding properly.
    We had a wind storm last night and my poor plant is now in severe pain. She has gone from 2 stalks down to a possible one stalk. The "Y" in the stalk split in two but did not break off from the bottom ot the stalk. I'm trying something (doubt this will work)....I've taped the stalk back together and hope the plant will heal itself.
    All that work ....
    Here I'm trying to post a picture of the plant from last year...hope this works...1st time trying.

Here is a link that might be useful: MyBalconyGarden

• Poochella
    17 years ago

Very pretty! I hope you can save it.