Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropic_lover

Some blooms for today

I have had blooms since July 1st this year but today is the first day I have cut some to bring in the house. We had a big rainstorm that broke the stem on Vassio Meggos so I cut it and a few more to bring in. Thought I would share them with you ;)

Linda

This is Inland Dynasty and Vassio Meggos

Comments (22)

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really like these too. Unknown gold, Hollyhill Starburst, Wyoming Wedding and Wildwood Marie.

Thanks for looking!
    Linda

• davids10 z7a nv.
    9 years ago

nice

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

The first bouquets are so fun, and precious! Thanks for sharing! I'm growing WM and WW for the first time this year, and look forward to checking them out first hand.

Hollyhill Starburst is in my top-ten MUST GROW list, which is saying something, since I grow a couple hundred varieties. It has strong, long stems, lasts a long time in a vase, is an early bloomer and its color palette goes with lots of other varieties. Here's the first HS of the year for me, about two weeks ago...

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

HH Starburst

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

Here is an eight inch wide AC Dark Horse... Took me by surprise, starting multiple blooms around two feet high. Hoping it will grow taller then that!

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    9 years ago

I love these! Mine look kind of weak by comparison...

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I will post some more later.

CC- LOL, I believe you got the AC Darkhorse from me. We did a trade earlier this year on cubits. It grows about 3 feet tall for me and mine has several blooms on it now too.

The ones in my second picture are some of the ones I received from you and I love them all!

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Linda

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

Well, how cool is that! :-D And all but HH Starburst was extra multiples from other earlier trades! I was wondering what that NOID yellow would look like... Very nice, but it would be driving me insane not knowing what its proper name was if it were in my garden. Glad you can enjoy it with no OCD panic attacks!

My five year old is in love with AC Dark Horse, and was devastated when I gave this bloom away... I assured her there was another one ready to be cut, but I obviously broke her trust by looting the contents of the kitchen table vase!

Here's one blooming its head off right now... Brandon J, part of a trade from someone in this group... Can't remember her posting name in this forum, though. (Thanks, N.!)

Cheers!
    CC

• portia
    9 years ago

That reminds me of the HH Cotton Candy blooms I've seen in shape/form but not in color...beautiful though!

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

I never tire of posting this shot of Hollyhill Cotton Candy, which is a perfect example of average cultivation skills compared to an experienced pro!

BOTH pink blooms are HH CC, presented by different exhibitors during the 2013 National Dahlia Show in Grand Rapids, MI.

I've only gotten an inch or less to swirl on mine, and I was pretty happy... If I could get this degree of extreme swirl, I'd be in dahlia heaven!

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

Another Hollyhill variety that I love...

• ichorica
    9 years ago

Wow I love those HollyHills!

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

Yes, I have over a dozen HH types, so you can say I'm a fan too! I also really like lots of the Hilltop and AC varieties.

Here's an old one that I won't be growing next year, but am sure enjoying this last season for it... Lascinated blooms don't last long when cut, so I have to really love them to be given a permanent spot in my rows.

• Tiffan
    9 years ago

Forgive me if this is a silly question - this is my first season with dahlias (and non-potted gardening, for that matter). If you cut the dahlia blooms, does that encourage more growth and consequentially more blooms? Also, I have heard to cut down the first stem break from the bloom, so I'd actually be cutting one bloom and two side buds. Is that correct?

These are all so gorgeous - I have a Tahiti Sunrise and a Crazy Love blooming that I'd love to help along to bloom a little more and bring inside!

This post was edited by cagoldbear on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 17:57

• Tiffan
    9 years ago

This is the Tahiti Sunrise, with a gladiolus from American Meadows' "Pastel Mix" - I'd like to pick the next bloom, but will it stall further bloom?

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

Hiya, Cagoldbear! Nice shots, I like your labeling on the image!

Looks like you have a mystery plant growing there instead of Tahiti Sunrise. Very pretty, regardless.

Have no fear about bringing your blooms inside.... The plant will be kicked into high blooming gear as you cut the flowers. (Crazy Love has a short inside life, I have been told, though.)

There is no hard and fast rule about where to cut the stem. It depends on how long you want the stem in the vase, and often you can cut it above the leaf junction leaving the other two buds to finish developing.

Many growers actively cultivate their plants, taking off the two side buds, encouraging the middle flower to grow fuller and bigger with the extra energy from the plant. This not only allows you to cut a longer stem, but it stimulates more bud production from other branches.

Some growers leave their dahlia plants to grow 'wild,' and prefer to not to take off buds. Some companies cut below the first leaf junction, selling a bundle of long stems each with a mature bloom and two buds.

Welcome to dahlia growing, and may you expand your collection next year!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am loving all these beautiful flowers! Keep posting!

Here is my new Wyn's Delta Frank. I really like this one!

Linda

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another favorite...HOT TAMALE

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more...Show N Tell. Must be my day for reds!

Linda

• Tiffan
    9 years ago

I definitely will be expanding my collection! I have the Tahiti sunrise, crazy love and Kogana Fubuki, though I haven't gotten any blooms from the Kogana. I imagine it's because it planted the tubers in the back of the bed, so they might not be getting the sun they need.

I wonder if the Tahiti sunrise is overly pink due to the high alkaline soils. I have a Blue-bred hydrangea that is pink as pink can be. Many of my blooms turn out slightly different, and I can't very well grow acid-soil loving flowers! Also, I think I have fed them only twice so far this year, with osmocote pebbles. And once with fish emulsion. So I do what I can!!!

This post was edited by cagoldbear on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 11:02

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Love love love!!! Keep posting!!!!

• CCvacation
    9 years ago

This Hollyhill 6 in 1 is fun, with every bloom a bit different. It certainly adds a wow factor in a bouquet with reds and yellows.