Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jilluis

Dahlias stems suddenly black and rotten

jilluis
13 years ago

I planted about ten dahlias this year. They were all doing great. Pretty much overnight, the stems blackened and seem rotted on the one of the end (one of our favorites!). The leaves then withered. What caused it? What can I do? There is a tiny shoot that is looking a bit sad but is still alive (at the top of the plant in the picture if I can get it to load). Is there anything I can do to save this? Should I dig it up and replant it? Just look at it sadly every day?

{{gwi:647702}}A little background info: ItÂs been crazy dry here for the past month, and IÂve watered sporadically, but not madly so. Two out of the last three days it has dumped a huge amount of water though. No insecticides or wacky fertilizing. The soil is good quality. The cosmos to the left are doing great, except that the flowers frequently have a couple yellowish brown ?beetles? on them, that I kill and they get replaced. IÂve seen a few earwigs and a few indescribable soil bugs. The dahlias to the right of this are doing great. The soil right at the dying plant is maybe an inch lower then the rest of the plot so maybe the water accumulated? This is my second year planting dahlias (same spot) and no problems last year.

The dahlias are a special gift from our neighbor when we first moved in so I donÂt know what type it is, except it is orange and yellow and beautiful!!! Thank you very much for your help. Hope I didnÂt ramble on.

Comments (3)