Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poochella_gw

Orange Range- These photos are small, no worries

Poochella
14 years ago

Mango Sunset from Ferncliff Gardens. First to bloom and deep orangey-yellow. BB size 4-6" blooms.

{{gwi:647848}}

Daylight version which does not reflect the richer color at all

{{gwi:647852}}

Parkland Glory which is even more glorious in person- camera can't capture the velvety rich deep red-orange with golden yellow highlights. I can't see its full beauty because it's too tall. Still glorious and deserving of its name. Oval centers on the first two buds, but I blame our hot weather.

{{gwi:647854}}

Closer up

{{gwi:647857}}

Pam Howden's lustrous lavender side this evening.

{{gwi:628773}}

Jomanda is fading this year as I left some blooms on the plant instead of cutting as usual. I see where umbrellas would come in handy.

{{gwi:647862}}

Long Island Lil 3 footer with lots of early mid size lt orange blooms. I like anything early.

{{gwi:647865}}

Comments (24)

• linht
    14 years ago

Really wonderful oranges, Poochella. I like Jomanda a lot because I think I'm finally starting to appreciate those smaller blooms with the perfectly positioned petals. The weather this year is so dramatically different than the past several years. It's been very mild and comfortable so I haven't had the usual pest issues so far. Mine are opening late this year because I planted them almost a month later than usual. I hope to see all my blooms before frost takes them away and post some pics as well! Can't wait to see your reds!

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

Lovely. Early dahlias sound great to me. I have only 2 left from the gophers (potted now) and foliage only.

• misslucinda
    14 years ago

The Parkland Glory and Pam Howden have astoundingly rich and delightfully saturated colors. How very, very special. Thanks so much for sharing them with us, Poochella.

Lucinda

• oscarthecat
    14 years ago

Good stuff. I am making some progress on the picture posting ordeal. Steve in Baltimore County

• jroot
    14 years ago

Gorgeous, Poochella. I love your Mango Sunset.

I have been SO busy lately at work, that I hardly have any time to check out the forum anymore. I grabbed a few minutes just now. Beautiful shots.

• Poochella
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you. Don't work so hard Jroot!

Parkland Glory is twice as beautiful in person- it's a deep orange/red-orange. Yum. I never get tired of Pam Howden- such a blend of colors front and back: it's like two dahlias in one. Here's the front, reverse petals shown above.
    {{gwi:647867}}

Robinhood is pinker and oranger this year than I remember. Of course you can't see it here, but it's true! Lots of flowers are brighter and bolder, or else it's my new contacts. Don't know whether to attribute that to hot weather, or the fertilizer I used or what, but I'm liking the brighter, richer colors.
    {{gwi:647869}}

Hy Lustre a favorite for a few years as seen now:
    {{gwi:647871}}
    compared to last year's lt orange front with redder reverse. Any explanations? They are in approximately the same sun exposure i.e. Favorite Planting Place.
    {{gwi:629178}}

• honnat
    14 years ago

Great dahlias and photos. I just added Parkland Glory to my "wish list" after viewing yours. I was looking for a nice tall orange for the back of my yard...perfect. Do you have any tips on where to find this variety? Will I find it at the local nursery or should I buy online...?

• pdshop
    14 years ago

I don't remember these at Ferncliff? I will try and find Pam Howden for next year. My A and AA are going to be smaller this year as the plant branched out from the bottem even though I pinched. I have shorter and many more stems. Would rather have the one like last year.

• Poochella
    Original Author
    14 years ago

honnat, You can use the biglist to locate dahlias. It's not 100% accurate but will give you easy links to vendors and an idea of what to find where. I got Parkland Glory from Ferncliff Gardens though it's not listed on the Biglist (below.) Dan's Dahlias has both Pam Howden and Parkland Glory, though PG is listed as 3.5 ft. It's about 5.5' here.

pdshop, shorter with many more stems will give you many more flowers on those stems. I prefer that to tall, gangly and sparse of flower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dahlia Finder- the Big List

• misslucinda
    14 years ago

You know Poochella, I was out attempting to photograph my orange blooms when some big fat nasty bug stung the heck out of me right through my slacks. Besides a very sore leg I realize the only way to get those yummy colors is to photograph late in the day....any other photo secrets?

Thanx

L.

• Poochella
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Push the "flower" button on the point and shoot camera and avoid using the flash, although sometimes an evening flash shot gets the true color to show better as in Mango Sunset above.

Sorry you got nailed by some garden nasty. I'll be waiting to see what oranges you have growing.

• annabeth
    14 years ago

Poochella,
    I always learn something when I read your posts, not to mention how they enrich my life with the sheer beauty you dispense! I was wondering if you could expound a little on your comment: "Jomanda is fading this year as I left some blooms on the plant instead of cutting as usual." Does this mean you cut every blossom as soon as it opens? I usually don't cut them until they start to dry up in the back unless I'm bringing them in the house for a bouquet.

By the way, do yours dry up in the back petals or am I not doing something right? I live in a very hot climate in the summertime and they need lots of water. I do think that I'm learning that the more I give them the better as far as the back petals go. But, is it just a matter of water or should I cut sooner?

Thanks for all the postings and responses you give on this forum all the time. You are a fanatic in the best sense of the word and very giving of your time, energy, and encouragement.

Annabeth

• Poochella
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your kind words. Fanatic pretty much sums it up but how can one not be if even remotely enchanted with the natural wonder of a blooming flower? I'm sure the rose and daylily, brug, and succulent fans all feel the same way about their respective interests.

Your drying back blooms sound to me like normal aging of a bloom- the back petals begin to fade, dehydrate, and droop then turn brown first. It's not so much a function of watering, as of normal lifespan of the blooms. I believe some diseases or pests can affect the blooms and cause browning, but one of the experts will have to speak about those.

I cut mine to sell when they are nearly or fully open, so I don't often get to see an aging flower unless I leave it to enjoy myself, or it's marred somehow. Even then then don't stay long, because I want the plant to send out more usable blooms.

A couple new orange ones are coming along,so more photos later.

• vikingcraftsman
    14 years ago

Really nice display poochella. Long Island lil is on my wish list for next year. I lost a lot of my tubers due to rain rotting them before they had a chance to grow. New plan for next year. Again thanks for sharing your garden with us.

• Poochella
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, the old rain rotting the tubers story. It's the usual way of life if you plant too early here in the NW. But this spring was just perfect! Dry and unusually warm probably for the only season I'll ever see like this again, or at least for many years.

Here's another orange one I believe was recommended here: Normandy Copper Glow. It is golden copper so far; nice bushy plant.
    {{gwi:647874}}

And Wyn's Spicy medium orange here: large and tall! Standing up very nicely to our steady downpour right now.
    {{gwi:647876}}

That's it for oranges open at this point. Summer returns this weekend so brace for impact.

• vikingcraftsman
    14 years ago

We had no choice this year. The rain extended into July. I will have to keep my tubers in the poly house and hand water if we get the same weather next year.

• misslucinda
    14 years ago

Mrs. Eileen
    {{gwi:647877}}

Neon Splendor: ..but where's the neon :(
    {{gwi:647878}}

Swans Olympic Flame:
    {{gwi:647879}}

• vikingcraftsman
    14 years ago

Nice ones Miss Lucinda. How was your garden this year?

• Poochella
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lovely! Such crisp form. How big are each for you? My first Neon Splendors were not very neon at all last year or two ago, but this year look to be much more vibrant and coming up soon. I like orange, pale to bold, especially in the Fall.

• misslucinda
    14 years ago

Hey to you both--

The Neon is way more yellow than I had hoped and quite small as a matter of fact. Hope next year is better as you said it was for you Poochella. All my children are a tad small this year...assume all the, rain, and the fact I used new and non-amended beds (shucks, thats not true....Mrs. Eileen is in a pot and still only about a B-B+ size).

I'll have more posts later (Viking, if you are listening) of my others. Still looking for A and AA oranges so, Poochella, if you know, I would love to order them.....

• Poochella
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Parkland Glory and Wyn's Aztec Gold are tops on my orange faves this year. Who knows what next year will bring?

Here's Neon Splendor this year- this plant is a shrimp {{gwi:647880}}

Last year's pale version, more similar to yours Mislucinda.

{{gwi:647882}}

Here's Wyn's Autumn Reverie coming along.
    {{gwi:647885}}

• vikingcraftsman
    14 years ago

Nice , kind of reminds me of the west coast.

• misslucinda
    14 years ago

Hi Poochella-

Geeze, my Neon Splendor is this puny 3" wide very yellowish bloom and super tall (???) not half so nice as your 2008 Neon not to mention your current one.

Here's a classic I have been growing for years...a beautiful melon color and great form about 8". Someone on this forum typed it as a Babylon Bronze.

{{gwi:647888}}

• Poochella
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's the Babylon Bronze thread below and your lovely arrangement! Love that soft peachy/pink color in both old and new versions. Very nice. I wish I'd quit finding dahlias I want!

Here is a link that might be useful: Babylon Bronze

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm