Return to the Dahlia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I have to dig 'em up?

Posted by calik8 sunset18 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 0:58

I live in L.A. can I just leave them in the ground all year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I have to dig 'em up?

No sense digging them until the early Spring. They do best if divided each year as there will be too many sprouts from the tuber clump and the plants will be weaker. And of course you will have lots more tubers to plant elsewhere. The risks are that they may rot from too much rain(not much risk in LA) or that a critter like a pocket gopher will eat them.

o

What is a packet gopher?

o

When I lived in the LA area, I left dahlias in the ground, and they came back for several years. Once in a while one would disappear, but they were out front so could have been human animal for all I know. As long as your soil has good enough drainage, then they should be fine and bloom pretty again next year.

o

A pocket gopher is a gopher that eats roots and stores them in a pocket in his mouth to be deposited in a food cache. Since he is storing food for the winter, he destroys dahlia tubers in the ground. They are very common in the Northwest and in the Bay area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dahlia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here